Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

There I finnaly decided to take the plunge and baught a

Customer Question

Hi there I finnaly decided to take the plunge and baught a second hand 2005 Fleming 55 Lunched 2006 she has only 850 hrs on the engines and was wondering how many hours the engines should last with good maintenance and any known issues with the Cummins
qsc 8.3 engine rated at 490 hp each?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Engines will last as long as they are taken care of and maintained, they also last longer the less they are beat on and less of their max power band used. Engines can last a long time before rebuild and or replacement is needed depending on how their life has been on them is what I mean. Some people may say 600 hours other 1500 others different, everyone will give a different answer, I try not to give numbers because of the above I explained. With that said one can tell a lot of mechanical ability by checking compression and listening to how the engine is operating, temps, rpms, speed etc.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.