Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike 150 hp. I had a new trim

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike 150 hp. I had a new trim switch installed a few months
ago. The last time out it would not trim up. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
xx xxxxxxxxx
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi JR my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
When you say it will not trim up. Is the trim motor coming on and the outboard not lifting, or is the electric trim motor not coming on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can raise the motor with the trim switches on the motor but cannot at the seat control. the out is not lifting from the control handle
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If the switch on the motor works but the switch on the handle does not, then either the switch on the handles is bad, or the wires that run do that switch have been cut/or are broken. Which does happens, as the wires like to rub at the bottom of the shifter handle. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Where can I find a new switch for this older motor?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What I would need to know to answer that is specifically which shifter box you have. There are dozens of different styles of those shifter boxes, and they all take different switches. Can you send me over a few pictures of the shifter handle so I can try to identify it, the more pictures the better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason I am not at home at this time. It would be tomorrow before I could get the information to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's no problem, there are no time limits here. Just reply back once you have a couple of pictures of it and we can take it from there.
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your timeJR
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason
I have photos I need to get to you. I will need e-mail info.
Thanks
JR
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi JR,
What you can do is email them to the moderators and they will give them to me. Send them to***@******.*** and tell them they are for Jason in boats.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi JR, I receive 4 different pictures. Can you actually take a few more showing the entire shifter control box. All I can see is the handle and maybe 1/2 of the box in one of the pictures. I need to see the whole thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason After checking tag on the motor I found the motor to be a 1995 Jonhson. I have included some more pitcures I hope this helps. I sent pic's on seperate emails
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I'll let you know when I get the pictures.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
JR did you send more pictures of the shifter, or just the picture of the ID plate? All customer service sent me was a picture of the ID plate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, Just resent 5 pictures to you. If you don't get them let me know.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay i'll let you know.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi JR, I received 5 more pictures from you. I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or not. But what I need to see is the entire shifter box all in the same photo. You keep sending me zoomed n pictures of certain parts of it. I need to be able to see the whole thing, all in 1 picture.