Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

cant seperate lower unit to replace impeller

Hi Mike, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I and I will be helping you today.

I have a question back to you

You wrote;

there is no nut to loosen to release from gear shaft next to the impeller housing

Where exactly are you looking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when the lower unit drops down about 1/2 inch all you see is the side of the impeller housing.

What you have to do is disconnect the shift shaft in order to get it to lower comletely. Have a look at this picture, this is your lower unit.

The nut that decouples the shift shaft is hidden behind the water intake grates. What you have to do is remove screws #27, and then pop off the intake grates #30, and that will give you access to the shift shaft nut, #49. Spin off the nut and the lower unit will drop right off for you. Depending on how high or low the nut is, you might have to pop it into gear. But you'll see it once you take the grates off. This is one of those things that you wouldn't know about unless somebody showed you or told you.

And that's it, that is where you stand with this one. I do want to make sure you are happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the ratings. If you need more detail on something by all means feel free to ask. If not, just let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles, or if you can not see it.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

jason,I did that also.there was abrass nut that i took apart.sort of a small area to get the wrenchs into.(open end) the male nut stays on that shaft and i was unable to pull it thru the impeller housing the lower unit had dropped about 3 or 4 inches, but because of that nut staying on the end it wouldnt drop all the way off.its almost like a compression type brass the ferrel keeps the nut on after you compress it i dont think i should have to remove the impeller housing

This is why I asked exactly where you looked for this nut, because I am not there to see the state that the engine is in disassembly wise. So please be specific as to your responses. Because I am not there to see it, I only know what you tell me. And if you leave things out that makes the process harder on both of us.

Do you have the nut, #49, out. Is it out of the lower unit and in your hand?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you remove #49 all the way and let me know if the lower low drops. It's not going to drop with the nut in there, the nut would hold it up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had taken 49 stayed on the end of that shart.tho I had them apart it only let me drop the lower unit from the mid section

You have me confused, is the lower unit off the midsection, or is it still hanging?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it just hangs when you take 49 apart.all five bolts are out. the lower unit can only come apart from the midsection about 4 inches.49 stays on the shift gear shaft. it appears like number 26 and 49 thread together.49 being male and 26 being female.they are uncoupled from one another

Have a look at this, does this match whats in front of you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what you sent wont open up

It's just a picture, you can not click on it? Are you on a computer or cell phone, as it shows up fine on my end.

I will try a different file server here. Click below, can you see this one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that looks like it .see the male end on the upper .thats what will not go thru

There is a little rubber bit on the shaft. Push the nut up, pick the rubber bit off with your fingernail or screwdriver, and then the nut will drop down, and the lower will drop off.