Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2002 mercury 150 hp no fire on numbers 2 and number 5 changed

2002 mercury 150 hp no fire on numbers 2 and number 5 changed coil pacs still no power the motor is a two stroke salt water X L
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

I have a question back to you. Is your alarm going off? If not, does your alarm actually work? It should beep every time you start the engine to let you know it works, does it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It dose not go off, but it work

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
So you do get the self check beep every time you start it, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it.

Do you have an autoranging digital volt/ohm meter and know how to take basic electrical resistance measurments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not with me right now

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it,

How can I best help you here? Do you want my best guess now, along with how to test it? Do you want to get back to me when you have a meter and are ready to work? Are you trying to do this yourself, or just get an idea of what I do in the shop? How can I best help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess i want what you thank but will have meter tomorrow can go from there

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Stuart,

If your not getting an alarm, then you likely have a bad ignition trigger coil up under the flywheel, as that is what 2 and 5 has in common, is a trigger.

What you want to do is disconnect all of the wires that run up to under the flywheel. And you want to measure the resistance between the trigger coils. The wiring pairs are as following. Measure Between...

Between Brown Trigger Lead and Yellow Trigger Lead

Between White Trigger Lead and Red Trigger Lead

Between Purple Trigger Lead and Blue Trigger Lead

All pairs should measure roughly 1100 to 1400 ohms, anything way over, or way under, or no reading means a bad trigger.

Also, measure between each wire individually to ground. All wires should be open with no path/resistance to ground. Any hint of resistance to ground means a bad trigger as well.

That is where you stand with this one, and what needs to be checked. Obviously I am not there to do this work for you. But I do want to make sure you are happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the rating. If you have a further question on this, by all means feel free to fire away. If not, please let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Jason

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.