Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Considering purchasing 1989 I/O Wellcraft 170 Bowrider which

Considering purchasing 1989 I/O Wellcraft 170 Bowrider which appears to be in excellent condition. Engine states 3L on manifold. What make of engine is it? How much hsp? What make is the outdrive? Mercruiser on Volvo or other. Told to stay away from Volvo since parts are hard to come by???
Thanks Bob
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Hi Bob, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

What color is the engine and outdrive, that will tell me if it is Merc, Volvo, Or OMC. (It's OMC that you want to stay away from, as they are out of business... the Volvos are fine)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

That is just the opposite of what a boat yard mechanic in Maine told me. he said stay away from Volvo. Now I am really confused.

The color of the engine is black. 4 cyl

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Bob,

Volvo is still in business, and you can get most everything still for them. OMC has been out of business for well over a decade. But that's neither here nor there nor matters because black means you have a Mercruiser engine with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 drive. (OMC would have been grey and Volvo would have been Red)

The engine is rated for 140 horsepower.

That was what you asked so I'm assuming that would do it here. But I do want to makes sure you are happy with me before doing the ratings, if you had a further question on this or I missed anything feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Jason: What is the corresponding outdrive that would match this engine and classic 170

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Bob,

I wrote that down in my last response, what I wrote was;

"black means you have a Mercruiser engine with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 drive"

Did you happen to miss it, or are you talking about something else and i'm not understanding you?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

My error...missed it.....

If this engine and drive have been well cared for nearly 20 yrs; is it safe to say that they will last barring any unavoidable things that are out of my control? Seller asking $3,700?

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

is it safe to say that they will last barring any unavoidable things that are out of my control? Seller asking $3,700?

1 thing you have to keep in mind is that out of all of the possible propulsions methods for boat, and by that I mean, Inboard, Outboard, Sterndrive and Jetdrive. Sterndrive is by far the most amount of maintainence. If maitainence is lacking, then overdue items is going to catch up with you real quickly. But if the seller has records, and everything has been kept up according to schedule, then your okay.

As far as 3700 goes.... Well. Good used boats are hard to come by (good ones in good shape with all records). So in that respect, they usually sell for higher than book value. NADA values the boat at 1600 in running condition.

If this boat has records, if you can water test it, and the boat makes full power and has no problems. If it is in good shape with a clean interior and decent gel coat, and the trailer is in good shape, without seeing it would say no more than 3. (that's almost twice NADA).

But if there are no records, if there are issues, if it needs work. Then your looking at book value or less. Personally I would never buy a boat I could not water test. Aside from making full power under load, you have to make sure the thing doesn't leak. And if you can not water test the boat, personally I would pass.

Just to give you an idea, if this needs some overdue maintainence items like the bellows, shift cable, gimbal bearing, oil changes... that will all run you 1k + on top of whatever you pay for it. So records are key. Does that make sense?

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.