Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

have a 1985 bayliner with Johnson 50 outboard. Lost the key

have a 1985 bayliner with Johnson 50 outboard. Lost the key so bought a new ignition switch with keys. the old ignition switch has 6 terminals marked M B M C S A . The new switch also has six terminals marked M B M C S I I don't want to screw anything up when I hook the battery up so hoping you can tell me if the wire that was connected to terminal A on the old switch should be connected to the terminal I on the new switch?

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be halping you today.

You are correct, what was on A on the old keyswitch goes to I on the new keyswitch. The difference is on the actual Johnson made keyswitches(which your old one was), they call it A for accessory. On the aftermarket/universal keyswitches, they call it I for ignition. But it's the same thing.

That should do it, but if I missed anything feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Jason