Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2001 mercury optimax 200 when running at 4800 to 5000

I have a 2001 mercury optimax 200 when running at 4800 to 5000 rpm it starts to cot out. Sometimes if I back off it will be ok other times it will die. I have replace the spark plugs and checked the coils by unhooking them one at a time and they all seem to be working. Do you know what may be causing it to cutout?
Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you today.

Do you have a set of fuel pressure gauges that can read at least 100 PSI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I don't have any.
Matthew,
You are going to need them to test the fuel and air pressures as the engine is running.With out it we are just guessing as to what is wrong with the engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I'll get some tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Matthew,
Test the fuel pressure on the Stbd rail with the key on engine off. You should be getting 40PSIwhile the pumps run and hold at 20 when they turn off. Running the engine you need to be getting 90 fuel and 80 air.

Please let me know what you find. Tomorrow my sons have a football games, and I will be back online after 9PM CST. Look forward to getting you fixed and back on the water.

Thanks
Charles