Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2002 Lowe 170 WBLSN bot with a 12 volt, 56 lb thrust

I have a 2002 Lowe 170 WBLSN bot with a 12 volt, 56 lb thrust trolling motor. it doesn't have enough power even on high to hold the boat fishing in over a 10 mph wind. Can I go to a 24 volt system [ already have a 76 lb 24V trolling motor] without having to run heavier wire for the system. I cant find any specs on the wire size. it seems to be either 10 or 8 gauge

Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if
something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is
sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you
right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another
customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon
as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

What gauge wire is run for the current trolling motor?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't really tell, appears to be at least 10 gauge what ever that was put on from the factory

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

What is the model number of the current 12v motor and the 24v as well?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

12 volt is Minn-Kota All Terrain 55AT . New one is Minn-Kota 75 lb thrust, don't know Model number, it's at my son's house

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the gauge of the wire will depend on the length of the wire needed and the amperage of the motor.... going to 24v will usually reduce amperage over 12v however your also going to a larger motor as well... I would need to know the model number but you can figure out the amperage and size breaker you need as well from that motor.....

Depending on the length your most likely looking at 10gauge to 6 gauge wire.

A typ 70lb will draw around 40ish amps.... this again needs to be known exactly from the model number.

You can also use this to help you: http://www.ehow.com/how_6071778_determine-electrical-wire-gauge.html

If you use the incorrect gauge in this case too small of wire you will know it as during use the cable will get hot/warm indicating larger cable is needed so it's important to use the right size to begin with to save money replacing it and to prevent a fire.

If
you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses
are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face please instead
reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are
negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for
those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you are not satisfied please
reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The
deposit you placed when you opened the question is only a deposit you can then click
accept or one of the smile faces, but again only if you are satisfied and only
when you are ready to do so. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert
not the site or the product. If you have
any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked 24 volt motor, It is a Minn-Kota Edge 70, 70 lbs thrust The boat is 17 feet long, will be running wires from back to front

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

6 Gauge cable marine rated tinned. Then a 50 amp breaker. 2 batteries for the trolling motor wired in series for 24vdc. Use either crimp on lugs to connect to the battery or solder on lugs.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,