Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My A/C strainer on my 2005 Sundancer 320 got really clogged

My A/C strainer on my 2005 Sundancer 320 got really clogged with gunk. I cleaned it and put it back in and I cleaned the air filter too, but A/C kept getting Hi Pressure indicator and shutting off. So I pulled the strainer again and saw the housing was packed in gunk (outside the strainer). I blasted it clean with a water hose, but I imagine there is gunk in the line to the A/C or worse, inside the A/C unit. I imagine I can use a hose to blast out the line, but I'm not sure which end to do it from and if from the A/C end, should I blast both intake and outtake hoses connected to A/C unit?

Thanks,
Larry Allgood
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Its harder to do, but it is typically better if you blast from the outside in. (your more likely to have better results).

Let me ask you this though, if you flip on your AC water pumps, are you getting good flow, good discharge outside of the boat?

If not, have you pulled the pump out yet and checked it with a bucket full of water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am only getting a dribble discharge when the A/C is running, but it is keeping it cool (suprisingly). I haven't tried the pulling the pump out. Do you suggest doing that before flushing the line? Also if I flush the line, by "blast from the outside in" where are you suggesting I do it? At one or both hose connections at the A/C, at the output of the strainer or the output of the pump?

Thanks,

Larry

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Larry,

By blast from the outside in. I mean sticking your garden hose against the discharge ports on the outside of the boat, and pushing water in. If the boat is in the water (and i'm assuming it is) that's why I had said "it's harder to do". You almost always end up getting wet.

You can do that before or after pulling the pump out, it doesn't matter as you can just disconnect the pump from the inside of th boat.

Do you know who makes the pump? Is there a manufactors name and part number on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No idea who makes the pump. I am not at the boat right now. It is in the water. I'll have to get back to you later on that.

Thanks,

Larry

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Larry,

Your next step would be to pull the pump out. And get a 5 gallon bucket of water. And then stick the pumps inlet hose into the bucket. And hook it up to a battery and see if it pumps or not.

If it does, then you are clogged and you will have to work on flushing the system out. But if your not pumping, then the pump is simply dead.

Now, depending on who makes the pump, some of them are serviceable, and they have rubber impellers in them that do burn out over time. Jabsco pumps are rebuildable.

But other pumps are more like bilge pump pumps, and just plastic throwaway cheapies.

So those are your next steps. Pull the pump and and see if it pumps or not. And if not, research the pump to see if it is rebuildable or not.

That should just about do it here. Obviously I am not there to do this work for you, but I do want to make sure you are happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the rating. If you have a further question on this, by all means feel free to fire away. If not, please let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!
--Jason

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.