Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  39 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1986 Johnson 50 hp that cranks over but wont start

Category: Boat
Expert:  Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
have you checked to see if you have spark output on both cyls while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have very week spark at both cylinders

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
would like to get started now as my time is limited to work on my boat
When was the last time it ran well?

How old is the fuel?

Are the plugs wet? are they getting fuel?

Do a compression test on both cyls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok..it has been running excellent..starter bound last week on flywheel, nothing happened when I tried to start it, found problem while on the lake and fixed it. started right up. later that afternoon it wouldn't start. seemed flooded. plugs were soaked. changed plugs. no start. have since had it sputter start, run rough, stall,and now no start.put a spark tester in the plug wire, set it at 7/16..no spark, down to 1/4 no spark. I have very week spark if I put the plug in the wire and hold it to ground.new gas,plugs are wet now,I have no way of testing comp. I have disconnected yellow/black kill wire..no spark..hope this helps

yes, excellent troubleshooting. Problem could either be with the stator or powerpack. not likely both coils are causing this....Since the pack is delivering the signal even though it is weak I am suspect of the stator. Before you replace it, double check and clean all ignition connections as well as grounds. Specifically the coil grounds. let me know how you are making out. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the stator

under the flywheel. You will need a puller to remove the flywheel after you take the nut off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, here is where it gets me nervous..can I do this in my driveway with limited ability..im reasonably mechanically inclined..not at all afraid to go for it..where can I get the puller..I am willing to buy tools needed..but will be limited to auto parts type stores

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Quite frankly you would be better off spending the money to have a dealer confirm the diagnosis before jumping into this. if you want to go ahead on the best guessthat it is the stator then you can order the correct puller from any evinrude dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to think it thru. im not fully convinced its the stator yet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
would like other opinions
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

Why did you open another question? http://www.justanswer.com/boat/7vmk7-1986-johnson-50hp-cranks-won-t-start.html

.

I will ask you the same question do you have a ohm meter to do some testing of the ignition components?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a ohm meter. but will buy one..by the way..glad I finally am able to speak with you.. what a runaround that was..lol will I be able to figure out the ohm meter testing? ive never done it. but think with your help I can. I will be in and out from boat to computer. thanks

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The wires you need to test are the brown and brown/yellow wires coming from the stator that connect to the power pack. Test brown to brown/yellow spec 450-550 ohms. Then test the brown to ground and the brown/yellow to ground. You should have an open circuit.

.

Post back with findings and questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. ill go get a ohm reader

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok post back with questions and findings..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I have a ohm meter and have disconnected the harness from the connector to the power pack. what do I set the meter on

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Set the meter to read up to 600 ohms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am I testing from male to female at the connection. does it matter where yhe red or black tester lead goes. I need a little more instruction. I have never used a ohm meter

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Every ohm meter is different and I have no idea what you have and can't teach you how to read a meter I know nothing about.

.

You are reading the wires coming from the stator under the flywheel. The brown and the brown/yellow it doesn't matter which lead connects to which wire. You want a reading of 450-550 ohms.

.

Post your readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Keep me posted.........The meter should have come with instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I borrowed a neighbors meter....no instructions. 573 brown to brown/yellow ..do I need to change the setting to check to groung. when I checked it showed nothing on the meeter

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

With the black meter lead on ground check the brown and the brown/yellow with the red meter lead. The meter should not read anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you are correct. it shows nothing.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The stator is out of specs. Could I get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

j50belcde

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNNcharge coil/stator # XXXXX click here Remove the flywheel to get to this component. Use a flywheel puller or steering wheel puller to get the flywheel off. You can get a puller at the local parts house or take the boat by a boat shop and have them remove the flywheel. This should fix your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok once I do this do I need to set the timing or anything before I can run it

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

No changing this part will not affect the timing just remove and replace and reassemble start and go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you have any idea what this part will cost roughly

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou I am thrilled to pay you for your help..couple more questions..how will I stop the flywheel from turning to grt the nut off, once I pull the flywheel ( im going to get a steering wheel puller now) is removal of the part simple, and how does the flywheel get put back on

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You can wedge a screw drive between the flywheel and the starter. The flywheel comes straight up. Then when you get ready to reinstall it align the key way with the key and slide the flywheel back on the same way it came off. Then torque the flywheel nut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you know torque spec.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I just looked it up I thought it was 105 ft. lbs. and checked and the spec is 100-105 ft. lbs. of torque. So my memory hasn't failed yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. can I pay you tomorrow..in case I have questions, I cant get the part till then..ill take it apart now

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You can still communicate with me even after you have rated. The question doesn't close. I believe I have answered all your questions.
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience: 39 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.