Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

Volvo glatron sx 175: took our volvo penta 4.3 gl for a boat

took our volvo penta 4.3 gl for a boat ride the engine alarm came on we opened the hatch their was smoke coming from behind the engine and it was not cooling any thoughts?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you. When was the last time you replaced the impeller? If it has not been replaced for more then 3 years you should start with checking and replacing the impeller. IF you have switched the engine off immediately then you should not have made any damage to the engine.
If you require further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the impelor is good what would you suggest?

If the impeller is good you need to check the thermostat and verify that it is opening when water gets to 170 degrees. IF it is then you need to inspect water hoses and manifolds / risers as you may have a blockage in your cooling system,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have anything else to add to my last comment?

As I explained you need to check the above. If there is water coming up from the impeller then there is a water blockage into the cooling system.