Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have an A/C problem. My unit reads HPF, there is no water

I have an A/C problem. My unit reads HPF, there is no water coming out of the port hole on the outside. I checked the sea strainer and cleaned it also checked the thru hull underneath the boat for blockage. All is ok. Any suggestions. Was working earlier in the day fine.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Do you know where your AC water pumps are in the boat? They are typically accessable. But do you know where yours are? Also, do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where A/C pumps are. Yes we do have a volt meter. Correction we have a volt meter on the electrical panel inside the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction we have a volt meter on the electrical panel inside the boat?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Frank,

In a nutshell you need to find where your ac water pumps are and see if you get power to the pumps or not. You said you checked the sea strainers. Typically the pumps are near the strainers as the strainers are for the pumps.

Are you looking to fix this yourself? Or just understand the system before calling in the AC tech/boat mechanic? I'm not there to do this work for you, nor find your pumps for you. How can I best help you here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction we have a volt meter on the electrical p
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason. Yes I'm looking to understand the system. I already figured that checking the strainer and the thru hull it is probably the pump. I'm not very mechanically inclined but would like to understand the process and use preventative maintenance to avoid problems like this. BTW I like this site I think it could b extremely helpful for people like me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frank,

Did you check the strainers for the engines, or for the AC, as there is a difference.

An AC system consists of the following parts, the condenser, the evaporator, the refrigerant pump, and the blower motor. All AC systems have these parts, your car, the house, and the boat.

When an AC system is running the refridgerant pump pressureizes and condenses the refridgerant into the condsensor. And because it is pressurizing gas, the gas gets very hot. In a house AC system, the condenser is the part of the box that hangs out of the window, so it can loose the heat to the outside air. In a boat, there is a water pump that pushes water around the condenser, to cool it and take away the heat.

There are all sorts of pump, manufactorers and what not. If you click this link below, this is just 1 example of an AC water pump.

http://www.marinaire.com/pump_p/map300kt.htm?gclid=CKXJ1bT2nbgCFe3m7AodHGYA8A

I know boats are tight to work on, I do this for a living. But what you need to do is locate your pump. And then simply see if they have 12V going to them when the breaker in the panel is on. Chances are you will, and the pump is either just burnt out. Or it's impeller is shredded. Depending on the pump you have, some are rebuildable if the impeller is shredded, others you simply replace the whole pump. You have to pull the pump out, see who makes it, see if they are still in business, and if they are, see if it is rebuildable or not. Or just order a new pump, they are not all that to expensive considering the cost of owning the boat.

But that's what the problem is. The HPF means the condenser is getting to hot, and it's shutting the system down. And the condesnsor is getting to hot because there is a water pump issue.

And, thats it. That is where you stand with this one, and what needs to be done. Obviously I am not there to do this work for you, and I don't know how much of this you can do yourself. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are at least happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the rating. If you have a further question on this, by all means feel free to fire away. If not, please let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Jason

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.