Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Where is the boat hour meter located on a 2004 Stingray 180RX?

Where is the boat hour meter located on a 2004 Stingray 180RX? We are wanting to sell this boat and don't know how many engine hours it has been ran. Please help.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

An hourmeter is a dealer installed option, not a factory installed option. Did you ever have one installed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are the 2nd owners of this boat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are the 2nd owners of this boat.

I understand. But this isn't my boat. You had asked "Where is the boat hour meter located on a 2004 Stingray 180RX?"

My question back to you is where have you looked for one? Are you sure it even has one? I'm sure your not here willing to pay 28 bucks for me to tell you that it does not have one. But even I don't know that. It's a dealer installed item, not factory. Do you see anything at the helm? (which would be the dashboard).

Is your engine fuel injected or carbureted?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has a carburetor. There is not a meter or dial on the dashboard. Would it be on the engine itself? We looked but have not found anything. We looked in the glove box too.

Thats the problem. It could be anywhere, they are dealer installed, 1 at a time. 1 boat at a time. 2 customers can buy the same boat on the same day and customer 1 says I would like an hour meter, put it here or there. And customer 2 does not mention it, so customer 2's boat never gets one. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it does make sense. I am about to think this ONE boat must not have a hourmeter. Thank you for all your help.

Your very welcome. I will leave you with some food for thought. If it does have a seperate hour meter it will be at the helm/dash area. That is where we put them for no other reason than that is the easy place to install one. Sometimes the hour meter is part of the tachometer, sometimes it is a seperate meter. But even with the seperate ones, we jump off of the tachometer to get a signal to drive the hour meter. Hour meters need some kind of signal to count the clock down, and the tachometer is that signal. But at the end of the day, some boats just don't have one.

If there is anyting else I can help you with by all means feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Jason