Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  39 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

2004 yamaha twin f200s with 704 premium binnacle remote control

2004 yamaha twin f200's with 704 premium binnacle remote control (top mount). 2670 pursuit, low hours stored on trailer. Very good overall condition. throttle/shifting has been flawless and smooth. Launching the boat started the starboard engine then the port. After starting the engines, pushed in the free accelerator button on the starboard engine revved the engine in neutral, throttle back to neutral position, button pops back out like it should. Now the throttle handles are both locked/jammed in neutral. You can push the free accelerator button on both engines and freely rev each engine in neutral, but when the throttle handles are returned to the neutral position, each button pops out, and the throttles are still locked and will not shift in either direction, engine on or off. Tried everything I could think of power on/off trim up/down (even though these should not have an effect). I know that both shift cables did not fail at the same time, so I am thinking the problem is in the control box?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you today. If you are satisfied with my answer please rate 3 or more when we have completed.

First thing to eliminate is the motor itself. You will need to unhook both cables from the motors and try to shift then. This can be done with the motors off. If it shifts, then the problem lies on the motors. If not, then we will need to look into the control box. If you need a diagram of the shift link on the motor, I will need the model number off of one of the motors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the problem definitely feels, in the control box. The throttles are both locked together, there is not even enough play to engage a stuck shifter on one of the motors. The throttles feel like they are locked together in the control box, if that makes sense.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

Was there a reason you opted out the expert that was helping you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes sir, I am looking for answers linked to the control box, not the engine. Both of my engines did not suddenly have shifting problems, or both shifting cables fail. I am looking for issues with the 704 binnacle control box

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The first expert that gave you information gave you a trouble shooting procedure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The issue you have here is either the engine is he problem or the control box is the problem. So disconnecting the cables from the engine separates the 2. This will tell us if the engines are the issue or the control cables are bad or the control box is the problem. This is a process of elimination. How do you know the engines are not the issue if you haven't disconnected the control cables and shifted the engine manually?

.

If the engines are ok then that leaves the cables or the box. The cables can be replaced. The control box will have to be removed and inspected for cause of the issue. Now most of the time the cables are the issue. Stiff cables will cause binding and shift issues. Now the engine can cause stiff shifting and shift issues also. So you must disconnect the control cables to narrow down the issue. As you can see thee are allot of parts in the control.

.

Post back with findings.Diagram of 2000 LZ200TRY Yamaha Outboard REMOTE CONTROL ASSEMBLY 2 Diagram and Parts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update: removed cables from engine, no change. After more inspection of the control, I was able to seperate the movement of the throttle levers on the control box and get the control to move the shift cables and shift the engine, but very stiff. The throttle cable moves very freely on both throttles, the shift cables moves VERY stiff, with or without the cables connected to the engines. So this narrows the problem to the shift cables or the control box. Thoughts: I would not suspect the shift cables, especially that both of them would be so stiff, when the throttle cables, especially that both of them move so freely, no corrosion evident anywhere. Leading me to suspect the control box.

Questions:

can I remove the throttle frictions screws completely and try to lubricate inside the control box?

How do I remove the cables from the control box to seperate the problem, from the cables versus the control box

Can I lubricate the control box without tearing it down?

Where can I find instructions to service the control box/cables, my service/shop manual does not cover the control box

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

There is no service manual on the control box. As for the shift cables they are a wear and tear item. Just because the throttle cables are free it doesn't mean the shift isn't bad. They wear differently and have different forces applied during use. I fail to see how the throttle friction screws will help the shift. The control boxes must be split apart once split just remove the retainer holding the cables in place. There is a e clip holding the end of the cable. Once you have the cables disconnected check there movement, if they move smoothly then the boxes are the issue. As for cleaning and lubricating I have never attempted to repair one of these boxes for liability reasons. Lubrication isn't usually the issue but worn parts. To many moving parts that can be reassembled wrong and liability. When the control box starts acting up it is time to replace. The issue is if you have worn or failing parts and the box fails to disengage or sticks in one particular position it can be very hazardous to operate the boat and cause bodily injury. I suggest replacing the control if it is the issue so no one gets hurt.

.

Post back with questions.

Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience: 39 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.