Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

How much should I expect to pay for a 1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman

How much should I expect to pay for a 1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman in excellent condition? Are there any common problems with this little outboard that I should look for when I check it out? Thanks for your help.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

In good running condition the engine is only worth about $ 150-175 . The things to look for are good compression 100+ psi and no water in the gear lube. The most important is that the engine runs and performs to your expectations.

Post back with questions and concerns please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm seeing these outboards posted online in my area (Atlanta) for asking prices from $250-$750, which seems outrageously overpriced according to your estimate. I'm interested in one that's listed for $650 - anything about this particular model that might justify such a high asking price?

For that price it had better be brand new. These are collector prices when they get over $300.00. If you are going to keep this motor as a collector then the prices would be correct. But if you are going to be using the motor you don't want to buy it. The more you use it the more the value goes down. The higher prices in Atlanta are for fresh water motors. I am from Florida and they aren't worth that much. I still wouldn't pay that much money for a motor of that age. There is nothing special about a 6 hp with point ignition all manual motor. Look for a later model motor in the NADA book a 1979, 6 hp runs in the 150-200 range.

Post back with questions and concerns.