Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with 9 yrs. experience.

where can i find a stand alone gauge pod. I saw one in a brochure

Customer Question

where can i find a stand alone gauge pod. I saw one in a brochure on the web but cannot locate it again. I would like this for my new 90hp Optimax being fitted to my vintage 1969 Bertram Sedan as it would allow the dash to stay clean after all the old holes have been filled.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you today. These questions require a rating. If you are satisfied with my answer please rate 3 or more smilies.

Do you want a SmartCraft gauge package, a SystemMoniter, or a VesselView digital gauges or Analog gauges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am purchasing the motor with Smartcraft gauges.As mentioned earlier I saw the gauge pod in a Mercury brochure and it had the speedo and tacho mounted in it along with other gauges.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok I know the one. Let me see if I can find the part number on-line. If not I can get tomorrow while I am at my day job. I will reply back soon.

What gauges are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Smartcraft at the moment is all I can say as the dealer has closed for the day.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Charles,
Were you looking at something like this? It has the gauges already in it.

Look down to the helm panels. Is this what you are looking at?

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/brochures/8M0063378_2012GaugeCtlg_LR2.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to see your picture of the item you are trying to show.

The gauges being supplied are Smartcraft 1000 but i have the option of upgrading if needed.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to cut the dash again or put the gauge off to the side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The intention is that if we can find a stand alone pod, then the dash would not be cut at all apart from a small hole for wiring looms.

This would be mounted on top of the dash , not flush mounted using bezels

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me get in the Merc catalog in the morning and I will see what I can come up with. There may be an option using a RAM mount with a system moniter or VesselView.

Are you going to use a fish finder at all?

I will try and get online around 1200 CST US time. It is after 1:00AM here now. I will let you know what I can find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be using s fish finderin the boat. At www.mercurymarine.com.au/home/parts-accessories/gauges-controls.aspx there is a set up about the same size as the pod.

The pod would allow to my instrument pod on top of the dash and behind the windscreen the the restored dash intact.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is it the center pic or the one on the right?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are you looking for something like this. Maybe just uncut, or one that mounts on poles?
Scanstrut Scanpod Deck Pod Deep UncutOr something like this?

Instrument Helm Pods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The gauge set up is the centre unit. this is the closet to what I saw on the web.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The center unit is close to what a mounted gauge set-up would look like. It is uncut, you could do the lay out as you wanted.

Are you going to use any link gauges, or just the speed and tach?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will use link gauges but the final gauge package is still to be determined by myself and the dealer.At this it is the SC1000 gauge package we are discussing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On reading your reponse again I am not sure what you mean when you say"mounted gauge set-up would look like" What does a mounted gauge set up look like? It sounds very promising.

The engine management system to be used is a PCM07 UNIT.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
In the pics I sent both of those are uncut. You can cut them to any size holes you wanted. The top pic is mounted on top of the console. The other is mounted on rails on the front of the console.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never received any pics. Can you send them in PDF format.

The gauge set up in the centre of the web site is very close to what I saw but the bottom was flat to sit on top of the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The scanstrut is close but without the base and a more streamlined appearance like car bonnet gauge holder.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I think these look really cool, but not what you are wanting. I am still looking for options.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/GaugePods.htm
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
These only hold 3. The site has some that hold 2 as well. Since you are using the SC1000 you can get away with just the Tach and speed if you wanted too. You would just have to press the "Mode" button to see the rest of the displays on the gauges.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Universal-Triple-Gauge-Dash-Pods.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree, they are cool and have two on my car. However while looking around on my own I have come across a Teleflex Signature Series Instrument set that apart from the dip in the middle is exactly what I am looking for. It appears to be free standing and it has 5 holes for instruments.
Unfortunately it does not give the physical dimensions of the unit to allow me to measure up the area behind the windscreen.

This would be their equivalent of the Mercury housing that I saw on the Mercury web site . now you have a very good indication on what I am looking for.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I am looking to see what I can find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Mercury unit I saw would have the holes the size of Smartcraft gauges and I am sure how many holes are in the Mercury unit.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I can not find the dimensions info either.

The problem that I see with that one is that it is designed to go in the dash. Even if I can find one that looks like that it will have some sort of a base to attach to the console, otherwise it will just slide off. It would either have to have a base of be screwed to the top of the console.

What fish finder are you going to use? A Lowrance HDS series maybe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it is not brochure that I saw on the web site.

The pod was past that as the very last item in the brochure just after page 16

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I have looked ever where and used ever word combo that I can think of. I can not find another better than the ones that I have already sent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All I can say is THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

Your service has been first class and I am very satisfied.

Charles

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Charles,
Thank you. I wish I could have found the one you were thinking of. The 2 I sent to you will work for you. You would just have to cut the holes in it for the gauges.

Charles