Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with 9 yrs. experience.
67216606

I have a 1996 Mercury Outboard 200 hp efi. The battery is charged

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mercury Outboard 200 hp efi. The battery is charged but their is no beep when the key is turned and nothing happens when you turn the key to start???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Charles, I will assist you today. These questions require a rating. If you are satisfied with my answer please rate 3 or more smilies.

Does the motor not crank, as in the starter turns the motor at all?

Can yo please post the serial number?

Does the power trim still work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The power trim works, the starter motor does nothing, the boat is not here so I don't have access to the serial number. I store the boat at my cabin about 65 miles away. I can go get it if it is necessary.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
That is ok I know the motor.
On the right side there is a fuse holder. Inside there will be a 20 Amp glass fuse. Check to make sure that it is still good.
Check the voltage going to the starter solenoid when cranking. It is the small yellow/red wire. You should be getting battery voltage on it when the key is turned to start. If you get voltage to it. Part 31 in the diagram is the solenoid.
If you are getting voltage there check for voltage on the larger post with the yellow tipped wire on it. When cranking you should be getting at least 10V on it. If you are not getting it you will need to replace the solenoid. If you are getting the voltage, test for it again on the post of the starter that the yellow wire goes to. If you are getting voltage there, you have a bad starter.

For the kill switch, find the 2 wires in the dash that come from it. Remove them and connect the black/yellow wires directly together. One will be coming from the harness, the other will be coming from the key switch. This will remove it from the system for testing.

Run these test and let me know how it goes. I am online most of the day on the weekends and after 530PM CST.

Charles

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I will go to my cabin this week and run the test, it appears the kill switch is bad how hard is it to replace and where to I get one?

Thanks

Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Is it the dash?
They are really easy to do. Only the 2 wires to undo and rehook up. Should be held in by two screws. You can get one at most marine dealers. It does not have to be the Mercury one. After market is fine.