Malta Tech
Malta Tech, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience on marine engines.
47471719

WHERE ARE THE TIMING MARKS ON A TOHATSU 4 STROKE OUT BOARD

Customer Question

WHERE ARE THE TIMING MARKS ON A TOHATSU 4 STROKE OUT BOARD ENGINE TO ENABLE ME TO FIT A NEW BELT..???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI GOOD MORNING FROM GREECE MAYBE I CAN MAKE THIS PROBLEM CLEARER .... WHEN I TOOK THIS ENGINE DOWN IT WAS SIZED SO I WAS UNABLE TO PUT THE PISTON AT TDC REMOVE THE TIMING BELT AND REPLACE..IT...THE ENGINE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REBUILT, UPON REASSEMBLY I CANNOT FIND THE TIMING MARKS PLUS I DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL...HENCE MY QUESTION..(.ONE TOOTH OUT OUCH..).. COULD BO A DISASTER

REGARDS RON.

Expert:  Malta Tech replied 4 years ago.
Dear Sir,
Welcome to JustAnswer. I am John and I will assist you with your question.

First of all we are a lot closer than you think. I am from Malta so both of us are in the Mediterranean.

In order to help you I need more info about your engine, so I need your model (engine HP), model number and engine serial number.

As soon as I have the info I would ask the local agent's mechanic as I am not that exposed to Tohatsu, I am mainly focused on Mercury. He is a good friend of mine so I should be in a position to get you the info.

Regards
P.S. Kindly do not rate until fully satisfied with my answer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI JOHN GOOD EVENING FROM GREECE THE ENGINE IS 30 HP AND THE SERIAL NO IS 068406 XF MFS30B 3AC. YEAR 1996.IF THERE IS ANYTHING MORE LET ME KNOW...!!!!! HAVE A GOOD EVENING REGARDS RON.....

hi ron,

let me see what info i can get from my friend.

keep you posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John good morning sorry not to have been in touch i have been away for a few .days i have not received an Answer from you as yet...!!!! even though Just Answer is asking me for my opinion ...can you resend...Regards Ron.

I tried to get in touch with the guy but he was away as well. he should return today. I will update you as soon as I have the info.
Regards
Hi Ron,

I verified with the guy and this is the info he gave me:

Get the top cylinder #1 at the top position
Turn the gear wheel on the top of the camshaft and align the mark on the wheel with the mark on the engine (or flywheel)

Then slip over the timing belt to keep the two aligned.

You should be all set to go.

Hope this info helps.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John thanks for getting back to me...this way i am aware of but with no marks at all plus the fact that some engines the inlet valve opens before TDC.could could ask your friend if he knows where the T MARK would be in relation to the Keyway in the fly wheel...and the same on the cam shaft please.thanks a lot Regards Ron.

I will get in touch with him again and see if he knows these details.
Keep you posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John good evening from Greece i have solved the timing problem...The timing mark on the crankshaft is not on the Fly wheel... to find it you have to remove the fly wheel and the MAG coils plus the mounting plate and low and be hold there is a dot as made with a center punch ...on the crank pulley and the same on the engine block...the mark on the cam shaft pulley is one of 3 with one having a dot in front of it and an arrow cast in the engine block..so hopefully this will solve my problem..!!!!! Thanks for your help Regards Ron.

Hi Ron,

Glad you have solved it. I am very sorry I did not manage to help you out earlier but this guy is impossible to reach. Thanks anyway for the info. As I said, I do not work a lot on Tohatsu.

Feel free to contact me should you require further assistance in the future.

Regards
John.