James, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder

1997 60 HP Mariner Outboard No Spark but the trigger and stator

Customer Question

1997 60 HP Mariner Outboard No Spark but the trigger and stator test out good. Any Suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using our site, My name is James and I will be helping you with your problem.

If you have a tachometer, Disconnect the wire on the "S" terminal on the tach and check for spark again.

Make sure that you have your safety lanyard properly installed.

On the back of the key switch you will find a black and a black wire with a white or yellow tracer. Turn the key to run, and with the wires still connected to the key switch, check for continuity between these two wires. If you have continuity when the key is in the run position, replace the key switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no safety lanyard installed. from the shifter box there is a harness with a purple , black, gray, brown with white stripe, tan, pink with blue stripe wires and none of them are hooked up to anything I believe these are suppose to go to the dash and operate the tach etc, are some of these wires suppose to go to a safety lanyard?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Doesn't matter, if they are not hooked up, they are not the problem. When starting the motor, do you have a key switch for doing that? If you do, do the key switch test I outlined above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok tried that and there is no continuity between the two wires.

Expert:  Tan replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is Tan I will assist you.

Refer to your original question pleas do not open another question.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Tan, I didn't realize you had already been helping this gentleman. I will opt out.