Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Experience:  28 years Certified Marine Technician and past FL State Certified teaching degree

My Larson 226 LXI with Volvo Penta 5.7L GS wont start. For

Customer Question

My Larson 226 LXI with Volvo Penta 5.7L GS won't start. For a couple weeks was running fine but a small amount was coming into the bilge. I went out the other day to try to determine where the water was coming from (hull? engine?). Did a few quick starts to lift the bow, puttered around a little, then drifted engine off for about 30 minutes. When I tried to restart only had a short partial crank. After a few more tries tokk battery in for test. Was at 60% and read as BAD. Replaced the battery. Still only partial cranks like a weak battery, then after a few tries the starter motor started zinging, did no longer engage. Replaced the starter motor after 4 full turns the engine stopped and the starter was sizziling hot. Took the starter in and it tested bad. Replacing starter again today. Someone said maybe hydrolock, to fix pull plugs and turn over. That is our next attempt. Any advice here?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Whitecap36 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Mike.
I'm happy to help you today. Please post back to this thread for any questions or concerns, either before or after payment.
The starter motor you are using certainly needs to be marine grade, if not change out starter to start.
One very likely place for you boat to be taking on water is through the drive bellows. To determine this from inside the boat is very difficult in some cases for an experienced person. To try you will need a bright light to shine back at inner transplant plate. Just above where input shaft comes into drive coupler there is a 1/4 in hole. You may or may not see the hole even with a mirror. This is a vent hole for the drive bellows, and when there is a hole in this bellows the water can come in there.
Bellows cracks and hose are common so it should be checked at the start of every season.
With boat dry docked you can get a reasonable look at it by turning drive back and forth and.trimming up and down . The best is to just pull the drive unit to see if there is any water.
The drive.bellows being rubber like you water pump impeller it is recommended being replaced before it goes bad.
Be sure your battery cables are clean(bright and shinny) and tight with a wrench.
Now with all being said have you learned of any cause for the no start or can I continue to help you there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you see the entire description of the problem that I submitted. I am trying the get the boat started right now.
You don't say whether or not you found water.
Do you have a marine grade starter in?
Where are you at with starters, are we sure there is a working starter in place?
If so, what does it do when trying to start now, just click? If so is it a loud or soft click?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A new starter is on the way. For our next step we will install it and hope to turn over the engine with plugs out, to eliminate possible hydrolock. Any advice here?
If it were hydo-locked you should have seen water on some or one spark plug.
Water can get into cylinder several ways.
Could have bad head gasket,cracked head, manifold or risers.
Engine could have backfired and pulled water in.
Deep water launch or shutting engine down while backing up with exhaust shutters not working.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks anyway.
Thanks anyway??
Why have you discounted this as useless information?
What am I suppose to say while you wait for a starter?
There is no troubleshooting you can perform unless you we willing to pull your spark plugs and look for water. This is surly what I would do if there was a chance i had water sitting on top my pistons, just let it sit there to rust.
I'm still available if you feel the need for some advise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi - sorry for any confusion. We already had the hydrolock solution plan underway and we did resolve it. Your info was not bad just redundant to what I told you. As far as the water leak goes we replaced the impeller and are waiting for the lip seal part. I guess we just got ahead of your assistance. Maybe next time.
Thank you for the explanation.
Best of luck with your project.
I'm on and off if you need assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to end this discussion. I don't want to pay as I did not get value. I also don't want to dis your service. Is there another way to close this out without saying your service was poor? Happy 4th to you