Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance

comments about a EVINRUDE 225 HP FICHT motor

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

There are a lot of opinions about the engines. When they are running and by this time, if they had a problem it would show up. They were problematic engines and had numerous problems, "fixes" etc.

Now the engines are 13-14 years old. I would not personally buy a boat with those engines unless I went into the deal with my eyes wide open.
It is absolutely critical you have the engines checked out by a competent technician. He will be able to put his computer software on the engine and look at how many hours are actually on the engines, how many rpms for how long, trouble codes, etc. I would not buy any Ficht engine without this information. I wouldn't buy any engine that had this information available without looking at it.

You should also know shops that can work on these are few. BRP the present owners of Evinrude also have stopped supporting many of the parts. There is a company that does work on the ECU's so there is still some support.

So basically if you can get the boat at a very good price and the engines check out from top to bottom you may want to do the deal. If there are any problems it could cost you thousands real quick.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for. If you have any questions, please let me know.