Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 1983 bass tracker III with a 40 hp Merc. I am trying

I have a 1983 bass tracker III with a 40 hp Merc. I am trying to remove the console to refinish it. I got the steering wheel off but it looks like I need to pull the gearbox off to pull the steering line out thru the small hole in the console. there is the large nut connecting the line to the gearbox. I was going to loosen that nut but I got nervous because im not sure what to expect! What is the best way to go about disconnecting the line from thre gearbox?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you today. These questions require some troubleshooting and several posts back and forth. I have a few questions.

It sounds like you have rotary steering. You can remove the nut, place the steering wheel back on the shaft with the key in it. Turn the wheel to back the cable out of the helm. It will be necessary to move the cable as it comes out.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cool that was simple. to put i back on do i just wind it back in?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 years ago.
Sure do, then make sure that the nut is tight.