Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

how do i install a water pump in a 70 hp 1978 Johnson outboard

how do i install a water pump in a 70 hp 1978 Johnson outboard motor

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

The lower has to be removed to replace the water pump. First disconnect the shift rod.The shift rod is disconnected at the coupler #98 by removing screw # XXXXX from the port side of the engine. The coupler is located just under the bottom carburetor.Diagram of 1978 70EL78C Evinrude / Johnson Johnson Outboard CYLINDER & CRANKCASE Diagram and PartsThen the bolts # XXXXX to remove the lower unit 2 on each side of the lower unit and one bolt # XXXXX over the prop and one # XXXXX under the trim tab. Then remove lower unit, remove the water pump cover # XXXXX then replace all the components that come in the water pump kit. p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNNkit. Diagram of 1978 70EL78C Evinrude / Johnson Johnson Outboard GEARCASE-20 INCH TRANSOM Diagram and Parts

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how much should this job cost in Memphis Tn by an outboard motor mechanic? just a rough range.. the part is about 50.00 at this looks too difficult for me or at least too time consuming.. thanks
This is about a 2 hour job at the labor rate in your area. I'm in the Florida keys and the labor rate down here is $100.00 an hour. So your job down here would be $250.00.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long does this ANSWER agreement last? if i need another bit of advice in a few days is it still active then? thanks
Till you are through. This a pay as you go and you can post as many times as you like. The subscription is one deposit for a bunch of questions. I only get paid when you hit accept but that doesn't close the question till you are through with this subject. When you start another subject you have to open another question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok ill give it a whirl and see if i can get it working ; thanks Steve
Your welcome Steve............Thank you............Tan