holenone007
holenone007, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Inboard and Outboard Marine technician since May 1999. Special Interest High Performance 2 stroke applications.
28658913

I have a 1999 Maxum 2300 bowrider with 7.4L mercruiser motor.

I have a 1999 Maxum 2300 bowrider with 7.4L mercruiser motor. The speedometer (the needle does not move from zero) and depth sounder (shows 3.5 constantly as depth) no longer work. Can you give me suggestions on how I can fix them?
Category: Boat
Expert:  holenone007 replied 2 years ago.

holenone007 :

hello, I'd like to give you a hand with your speedo issues and your depth finder.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Lets start with the speedo. There is a good chance that the speedo pickup tube some times located on the rear right or left side of the transom is clogged or the speedo pick up might be in the front part of lower unit housing where the lower unit comes together at a point check for debris in which ever area is pertinent to your design. IF yes and you can't get it out or no not that you can see you need to remove the speedometer hose from the back of the gauge and using compressed air blow from the gauge side of the hose toward the pick up when doing this start slowly have someone help you if possible they can see and hear if air is flowing out of the pick up however don't have them look directly at the pickup hole. IF air travels through it then your problem should be fixed and (if not then the tube may have seperated where the lower unit connects to the gimbal housing doesn't usually happen. In that case we'll have to go a bit deeper. Just to make sure the speedo is working blow short burst of air toward the gauge you should see the needle move. If air flow is good replace the hose at the gauge and zip tie (and replace the hose at the speedo pick up if transom mounted) As for the depth finder I need to know if the transducer is on the rear of the boat or if it is mounted in the stern under the motor(differs depending on if the boat was rigged at the dealer or at the factory with that option) then I can tell you how to diagnose it. And process to fix it. If the speedo and transducer are mounted on the rear of the boat make sure that they are at a 90 degree angle from their brackets or pointing down sometimes they can get moved around when trailering or in shallow water. Thanks let me know how it goes and the location of the transducer.
holenone007, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Certified Inboard and Outboard Marine technician since May 1999. Special Interest High Performance 2 stroke applications.