Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I am changing the impeller on a volvo penta 4.3 GL PEFS enging.

I am changing the impeller on a volvo penta 4.3 GL PEFS enging. I have the impeller housing off and am not 100% sure I remember the direction the impeller blades were aligned on the old impeller. I imagine it matters and am wondering which way to bend the blades on the new impeller. Also, any trick on getting out and installing the new shaft sealing ring?

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

Use a pick to remove the old seal. The impeller needs to be turned CCW holding the housing in your hand. Twist to the left. Use some light weight oil so the impeller slides in the housing easily.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to confirm my understanding. If holding the housing with the hose input and output to the left, I turn the impeller counter clockwise which will "point" the blades to the right. Correct???
Correct. This is simulating the rotation of the engine.