James, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder
27828686

What is maintenance like on a new 4 stroke Sea-Doo? for

What is maintenance like on a new 4 stroke Sea-Doo?

for example, a newer Wake model? I am only familiar with the older 2 strokes...

do they require oil changes or are they still injection? pump greasing? anything else (even maintenance / services that are infrequent and only needed every few years?)

thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. because of the range of possible issues, this may take more than one post. Please, don't hesitate to reply.

The pump servicing is the same as the two stroke. And not something you want to skip.

The motor is not the same. You do have oil to be changed, oil filter, fuel filter.

The oil and filter needs doing every year, the fuel filter should be checked then too. So there is a little bit more to do, and more often. (every year vs every other)

Your owners manual has the exact maintenance shedule listed right in side it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks,

do you have a link to a pdf owner's manual by chance? I have not purchased yet.

the oil needs to be changed only once a year? what if it were used year round, every day? does it have like a service interval display like a car?

also, do these things hold up to salt? I have heard Yam/Kawai are better in the salt than seadoo

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

I will look for the owners manual, I am pretty sure that will be possible.

NOTHING holds up to salt. It is the most evil thing you can do to your watercraft.

Salt halves everything when it comes to maintenance. So you do everything twice as often. It does have a service light, and the oil I believe is once every year or 100 hours of use.

But let me check on that manual. . are we picking random or do you have a specific model in mind?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

The link below will take you to seadoo's owners manual page were you can down load or just view any one you want, but only up to the year 2009. They haven't published the later ones to the site yet.

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2009-seadoo-4-tech-shop-manual.php

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was thinking possibly a wake. I have a superjet I put in the salt and then flush with salt away after, rinse inside, etc. still no good for a seadoo?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Well, if you are going to run them in the salt, washing and flushing the salt from the craft and motor is critical. The Seadoo's can be used in salt water, especially with a good cleaning regiment. It sounds like you are very much on top of that. Don't misunderstand me on this, I didn't intend to have you think Seadoo's were not good in the ocean. I meant salt is bad for any kind of craft that is run in it. Seadoo's as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry I thought of a couple more things...
oil changes on these 4tecs, is this easy to do at home, or is it a dealer service?
timing chains / valves / etc - do these need to be serviced?
thanks again
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Oil changes can be done at home pretty easily and no service requirements on the valves or timing chains