K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.

I need the advance curve for a chrysler 318 marine engine

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth. Post back with as many questions as needed.

Hi there,

I have the factory Chrylser manual on this. And I gave it a look through and they only list a specifcation for your idle ignition timing. they do not give a chart or list full advance.

I have access to all of the aftermarket Seloc manuals as well, I took a look in there for you, and again there is only a spec for base ignition idle timing. There are no charts and no printed spec for full advance.

Will the base idle timing be sufficient for you, or you you really need some kind of chart for this (of which I don't know where you would find one, so I would opt out of the question)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your time I do need the answer tho if you can give me the curve I will credit your account. I have the base timing and dwell angle already i just want to make sure the springs are correct to avoid damage to the engine.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I do not think a chart exists, and I've never seen a spec for full throttle advance timing.

I ran through my automotive database just for the heck of it. Even the dodge trucks from the 70's and 80's with the 318 do not give a full throttle timing spec, all they give is the base.

I will opt out just incase another expert has something I do not have. But I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. To be honest with you I just don't think the chart (or even the spec) that your looking for exists.

Good luck!

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name is Kerry

You have two options if you want to play with the advance curve. You can order new springs from a dealer so you have new springs of the correct weight or you can determine the make and model of distributor and order a recurve kit. Too light of a spring will cause pinging and possibly detonation and too heavy of a spring will make it gutless.

If the stop for the fly-weight or the fly-weight itself are worn the distributor could advance more than a new one would.

Hope this helps