James, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder

I am looking at wiring up my boat to accept the 24 volt Minn

I am looking at wiring up my boat to accept the 24 volt Minn Kota 80 Terrova I pilot. I currently have a 12 volt Minn Kota Power Drive. I am running 6 Guage wire up to the front which is about a 16 foot run. My question is if I run 2 sets of 6 guage wire and use a jumper connection at the outlet can I still connect some of my 12 volt accesories to the individual trolling batteries in the back of the boat. I am trying to keep the battery for my outbard wired by itself so I don't run it down and find out it won't start sometime if I need it right away. The other items are my bilge pump, live well, running lights and fish finder. I have an onboard charger to charge up the 3 batteries when I am done for the day. Thanks for your input
Category: Boat
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

If you want to keep the battery for the motor isolated you are going to have to add two new 12 volt batteries and run them in series to the new trolling motor.

Then, in order to run the other accessories off of one of the two new batteries, their power supply needs to be isolated to one of the new batteries. So the power and ground wire for the accessories would hook to the same battery while the power wire for the trolling motor would be hooked to the positive of one battery and the ground wire would be hooked to the negative post of the other battery. Then, you need to hook the positive side of the battery with the negative trolling motor attached to it, to the negative side of the battery with the positive wire of the trolling motor attached to it.

The power and ground wires for the accessories that are connected to one oft new batteries MUST be completely disconnected from the motor battery system. Right now they likely share a common ground inside the harness. That has to be removed. So where the ground wire leaves the harness to go into the pump, live well, lights, and fish finder you will need to cut the ground wire, attach a new one, and run it up to the new grounding buss under the dash. The power wires will then need to be removed from the fuse panel they are now attached to and hooked to the new fuse panel.

The positive wire from the new battery is then hooked to the new fuse panel and the negative wire is hooked to the new ground buss bar.

If I am unclear on any point here, or you just need clarification, please ask me, ok? Just post it thru this question and no further charges are involved.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I didn't design this boat I just bought it this way. It didn't make sense to me when I looked at it but there is a panel that has a power and a circuit breaker for each circuit/accessory. And for each circuit there is a positive and a ground wire leading out to be connected to a 12 volt battery. I am currently running 2 batteries with an on board charger. One battery is for the motor only and the other battery I use for everything else. I think I understand what you are saying but I just want to be sure. I can connect the accessories or other circuits to one of the 2 x 12 volt batteries that are connected in a series. As long as the the individual positive and ground is connected to the same battery in the series, correct? Now I also want to make sure I won't run into any problems when I connect or charge with the 3 bank on board charger that I have purchased. Thanks for your patience but I just want to burn something up after I install the new trolling motor
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is correct.

The on board charger just hooks up on line to each battery, no matter how the battery is wired, it gets the positive and the negative from the lead.

I assume you meant you don't want to burn something up...lol.

James, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder