Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  39 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Hi i am wanting replace my tilt trim motor on my 2002 mercury

Customer Question

Hi i am wanting replace my tilt trim motor on my 2002 mercury optimax 150hp. But i cant access the second bolt in the back corner. Is there a way to access it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth. Post back with as many follow up questions as needed.

When I do these I first put the motor up on the trailer locks. Then knock out the top pin for the tilt/trim assembly, it will then pull foward about an inch or 2. Then you can sneak into the back bolts with a ratchet with extensions and a universal joint adaptor to pull the rear bolts.

That is how I do it. is there something else in there that is holding you up? Or have you not knocked out the upper trim pin and pulled it foward yet?

Post back with questions

Regards,

Jason

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All i have done so far is tilted it up and locked it and removed the first bolt on the tilt/trim motor. Could you please give me some more information on the upper trim pin. where exactly is that located? Cheers
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Sure,

But let me get your engines serial number first so that there are no mistakes. All of the Mercury engines are cataloged by serial, and for me to pull up diagrams it is all done by serial.

the serial is on a decal on the clamp bracket.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
serial number is XXXXX
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but I don't have time to follow through on this one. We do this on the side from our houses, and do not work in an office building. It's 10pm my time. What I will do is opt out of the question and leave it open to the expert community. We have some night birds here, so i'm sure another expert will jump in.

Good luck!

Jason

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

There are a couple ways to accomplish this.
Tilt the engine up. You will need a special tool to hold the engine up in the tilted position. This will allow you to unbolt the unit including driving out the cross pin where the tilt ram attaches. Then drop the entire trim unit which will allow you to reach the trim motor mounting bolt. The cross pin is the upper tilt pin. It is where the tilt ram actually attaches to the midsection. If there is corrosion it can be difficult to remove. Mercury recommends you replace this pin after it is removed with a new pin.

The second way would be to unbolt the engine from the boat, which would allow you to reach the rear bolt.

The third way would be to tilt the engine and put it on the trailering brackets. Put a piece of lumber between the midsection and clamp bracket which will hold the engine up in the tilted position. Remove the large nut that holds the clamp bracket on the tilt tube. Unscrew the large nut that holds the steering cable to the tilt tube.
Remove the bolts that hold the clamp bracket to the trim unit. Unbolt the clamp bracket from the boat. Pull the clamp bracket back from the tilt unit and the rear bolt is now reachable.
When you put the mounting bolts back through the transom make sure you use a waterproof marine caulk.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience: 39 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance