James, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder
27828686

i have a 20 inboard ski boat. at 20 mph + the boat leans

i have a 20 ' inboard ski boat. at 20 mph + the boat leans to the right and pulls to the right. i've been thinking trim tabs could be the cure, but i don't want to start drilling holes in my boat if this will do nothing to cure the problem. any ideas ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

How severe is the boat pulling to the right? Is this new?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this has been an issue since the boat was new. the dealer said thats how a narrow beam boat reacts. i love the boat other than this issue. at 50mph i have to turn the stearing wheel approx. 180 deg. to hold a straight coarse.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

There is some pull because of the rotation of the prop, but it should never cause you to have to turn the wheel to correct it, you should only have to not let go of the wheel. even then the boat should only slightly veer to the right.

It sounds like you may have the boat loaded heavy on the right side. But you may have an uneven keel in the boat, or a hook in the bottom.

Are your batteries and helm on the right side on your boat? Is this condition worse when you are alone in the boat?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've tried loading the boat heavy on the left with no success. the dealer checked the 3 keel fins. thats why the only fix i can think of is trim tabs, with the right tab adjusted lower to right the boat under power.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

I was just making sure you had checked the simple things first, since they are most often the cause. You seem to have done so.

If the fiberglass keel, is un-true, or there is a "Hook" to the boats hull causing this, about your only recourse is tabs.

They will greatly help in this situation.

James, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder