Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 2004 30 hp Johnson. It will not start when cold.

I have a 2004 30 hp Johnson. It will not start when cold. The choke works fine. You have to push the key in to choke. The only way to get it started is to spray starter fluid in the carb. I don't have the owner's manual so I don't know the recommended method. Also, there is a dial on the rear of the shift control - what is that for?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

To start the engine squeeze the primer bulb till firm push in on key while cranking the engine. The dial on the rear of the shift control is for throttle friction. This is to stop the throttle handle from creeping back while running.If the engine doesn't start using this procedure then the choke may not be working properly. There is a way to bypass the choke manually find the choke primer pump and turn the red lever to the 1:00 position when the engine starts turn knob to 6:00 position. If the engine starts manually then the primer pump needs to be tested.Diagram of 2004 J30ELSRE Evinrude / Johnson Johnson Outboard INTAKE MANIFOLD Diagram and Parts

Post back with questions.