Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

How do i get my Johnson 60hp model BJ60TLEDR motor to lift

How do i get my Johnson 60hp model BJ60TLEDR motor to lift manually took the boat out this morning motor tilted down but now it wont raise i have undone the manual screw but an still unable to raise the motor is there a catch that i need to release first?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

Does the tilt not work going up? Obviously but what I mean is does it click , does the motor run. Has this been an ongoing event or did it just start?

The engine can be hard to raise if there is corrosion on the tilt pin and the tilt tube. The manual tilt release screw must be turned counter clockwise at least 3 turns to release. Get a friend to help raising the engine grab the lower unit and pull up.

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tan

Tilt just stoped working this morning everything was working fine until then but there is a clicking which indicates that it is electrical problem possibly the relay

Expert:  Tan replied 4 years ago.

Swap the relays with each other. If the trim works then the relay is bad. If nothing find the wires that go to the trim motor unplug the motor wires put 12 volts to the wires, if the motor works check the voltage to the relays red wire, if voltage replace both trim relays. If the motor doesn't work then the motor is bad. It doesn't matter which wire is positive or negative. The tilt motor is reverse polarity. If the motor tilts down reverse the wires to go up.

Post back with questions.