Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1987 Merc I.O. 4 Cylinder Engine 3.0 ltr. 181

I have a 1987 Merc I.O. 4 Cylinder
Engine 3.0 ltr. 181 cid 130 hp. engine.
Just bought a Carter 0-2210 1A F. pump
Directions say install pump inverted (bowl Up)
Old merc pump --- dual Dia. low pressure (i Think) mounted bowl down...
WILL THE CAM BIND??? cam rotation is counter clock wise faceing the front of the engine...

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.There are 2 versions of the fuel pump filter one is up (old design) carb line is on the front of pump. Diagram of 3.0L - (GM 181CID I4) Mercruiser 0B450801 THRU 0C856558 (1987-1989) FUEL PUMP AND CARBURETOR (OLD DESIGN) Diagram and Partsthen The filter down (new design) fuel line to carb is at the rear.Diagram of 3.0L - (GM 181CID I4) Mercruiser 0B450801 THRU 0C856558 (1987-1989) FUEL PUMP AND CARBURETOR (NEW DESIGN) Diagram and Parts

Check out these diagrams the lever on the pump can go over the cam or under the cam. To determine if you have old design or new design I will need the engine serial number. !987 would be old design but need to determine if the engine is 87-89. The 87 old design 89 new design.

Post back with questions.