Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1996 BAYLINER CIERA 2655---SHOWER WATER BACKUP, HOW DO I EMPTY

1996 BAYLINER CIERA 2655---SHOWER WATER BACKUP, HOW DO I EMPTY THE GREYWATER TANK AND HOW DO I PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE? JABSCO MANUAL MARINE TOILET WITH SHOWER ASSEMBLY. HELP
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth.

A question back at you.

This boat comes one of 2 ways.

Just the manual head with a built in holding tank (the tank is a removeable part of the head assembly)

Or does the boat have a seperate waste water tank? Seperate from the head. If it does, it would be a 13 gallon tank mounted in the engine compartment.

Which one do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HAS A SEPARATE 13 GALLON HOLDING TANK MOUNTED IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT THAT I EMPTIED.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I saw your second question, no need to start a second duplicate question. Please post all correspondence to this question page here.

This one gets alot of folks, especially first time boat owners. Or boat owners with their first boat that has a sewage tank.

I would hate to see anybody get a fine, but I also hate to see polluters. So i'll give you a little background on how it all works.

There are 2 types of marine waste water. There is grey water, and there is sewage (wastewater). Now some do, but most boats do not have a grey water only tank. Most boats have a wastewater tank. The difference is greywater is showers and sinks, wastewater is the sewage, the toilet.

Every boat is also plumbed a little different. But on most older boats (pre-2000) greywater goes right out the side of the boat, but wastewater, goes to the tank. Again this is most but not all. On newer boats, again this is most but not all. All water goes to a wastewater tank.

If you have the seperate holding tank, there are only 2 real ways to empty it.

1. Most marine fuel depots and most marinas have pump out stations. When you go to fuel up you also get the tank pumped out. You have a wastewater discharge port on the side of the boat (it looks like fuel fill cap, but should be labeled waste) that the pump out station hooks up to to empty the tank.

2. You discharge it overboard. The boat will have a macerator button at the helm. If you hit that button it turns on the pump and pumps it out of a small fitting on the side of the boat. The fitting looks just like a typical bilge water fitting.

Now with discharging it overboard, in most areas of the US you have to be 3+ miles off shore to discharge it. If you discharge it closer to shore, and they catch you, it is a big fine.

Thats how it is done in the marine world. Now if this boat is sitting on a trailer in your yard. Then you have to do what you have to do. Ideally you would tow it to a marina with a proper pump out station.

I would not use a wet-dry vac, as it will ruin the vac and more than likely make you sick from the odor. If you hit the macerator button with this boat in the driveway, sewage will shoot out the side of the boat (and all the pleasantrys that come with it). If you are caught dumping sewage down the storm drain, most municipalities will have rules against that as well. So be careful. It is obviously a different story if you live on a farm.

But that is how it is done.

Post back with any questions

Merry (early) Christmas!

Jason

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit that accept button on your end.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GREAT, BUT WHERE IS THE SOILED WATER AT THE SHOWER DRAIN COMING FROM AND HOW DO I FIX THIS?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

The problem with this particular boat is the transom shower is optional equipment, not standard from Bayliner. The shower was not installed by Bayliner, but rather installed by the dealer.

The dealer might have plumbed it to the wastewater tank, or they might have plumbed it overboard. You can have 2 1996 Bayliner Ciera 26's that are plumbed differently. So you have to look for clues to see how it is plumbed.

Now if the water smells like human waste, then it certainly goes to the holding tank. And the tank is more than likely just full and needs to be pumped out.

If the water does not smell like waste, then it is going to be plumbed overboard. If it is, it is very simple. There is a hose at the bottom side of the drain that runs to a through hull fitting on the boat. You have to remove the drain and snake out the clog.

Post back with questions

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANX, YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP. I HOPE YOUR SUGGESTION WORKS. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YOU SUGGESTED UNCLOGGING THE SHOWER DRAIN, IT WAS CLEAR. WHEN LETTING WATER IN THE SINK & TURNING ON THE SHOWER SWITCH OVERBOARD DISCHARGE WORKS BUT WATER BUILDSUP ON THE FLOOR AT THE SHOWER DRAIN & OVERFLOWS INTO THE CABIN FLOOR.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I suggested unclogging the shower drain if the water in it was not wastewater (did not smell like poo). But if it is wastewater, then the wastewater tank is full.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IT'S NOT WASTE WATER, THERE'S NO ODOR. IN FACT, THE WATER BUILDUP COMES IN THRU THE SHOWER DRAIN & IS CLEAR, APPARENTLY CLEAN WATER. DOES THE SINK & SHOWER HAVE SEPARATE PUMPS?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Now you have me confused. You just stated, and I quote you

"IT'S NOT WASTE WATER, THERE'S NO ODOR. IN FACT"

And earlier you also stated

"GREAT, BUT WHERE IS THE SOILED WATER AT THE SHOWER DRAIN COMING FROM AND HOW DO I FIX THIS?"

Now to me "soiled" means human waste...

Can you clarify this for me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I APOLOGIZE FOR THAT, HOWEVER, IT'S NOT HUMAN WASTE WATER.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

No problems.

1 thing you have to keep in mind is that alot of these items are installed by the dealer, and not at the factory. So no 2 boats of the same year are always identicle. A drain installed in 1 boat can be in a different spot all together in a different boat of the same year and model.

But what you want to check on is to see if you have a shower drain pump installed in yours or not. Here is an example of a typical Bayliner shower pump.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

#7 is the shower strainer, they can clog up and need inspecting. #5 is the shower pump, if that is clogged or not turning on that will allow the water to back up as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANX, I'LL HAVE THE PUMP CHECKED.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem. Good luck!