davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech
14632772

I am winterizing my 25 HP Mercury 2 stroke motor. I have never

I am winterizing my 25 HP Mercury 2 stroke motor.
I have never done this as I bought the used motor last spring and can not find the location of the carb. for injection of fogging oil. I fear the electric start is blocking my view of the carb...

davesoutboard :

Can you get me the model or year and I can get you a drawing. Otherwise the easiest way would be to remove the sparkplugs and put the fogging oil right in the cylinders. Otherwise dont forget to check the grease in the gearcase also.

Customer:

1997 serial # XXXXX can't find a model #, also says 25EH, this could be model #? Has the numbers 18 and 51 next to the letters "RWAC" on the tag on the lower housing.

davesoutboard :

OK, give me a couple of minutes.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appointment, will respond in 90 minutes.

davesoutboard :

That is a parts drawing of your carb. It has #12 an air cover over the carb intake. If you want to fog it while the engine is running, Just spray it into that air intake. If you are not able to do that just remove the plugs and spray some fogging oil directly into the cylinders and turn it over. also dont forget to add stabil to your fuel and run the motor until that gets into the carb.

Customer:

Thanks for the drawing, are you saying that I should remove item # XXXXX the carb cover, while running and spray fogging oil into carb at this point, ie behing the carb cover? Also as you said, if I run the engine with stabilized fuel, and then disconnect the fuel line and run until it dies, the stabil will penetrate the carb as well and then I fog, drin the lower unit of oil, replenish with fresh, replace all plugs and I will be set for the winter?