James, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  12 years Certified marine mechanic, performance boat builder

I have a Volvo Penta TAMD 63 and my Morse throttle control

I have a Volvo Penta TAMD 63 and my Morse throttle control has a strong tendency to pull to idle. After trying the different adjustment options on the cable I've come to the conclusion that perhaps the throttle tension on the engine itself needs to be adjusted. Can you adjust the resistance on the engine? Is that advisable? Thanks!

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

Did you look to see if the throttle lever it's self, has a tensioning screw on it? Some of them do. It would be accessible from the bottom of the handle its self. If you see a notch or a hole in the very bottom of the moving part of the handle, That is where the tensioner will be. It will likely be a Allen head.

Adjusting the tension at the throttle arm on the motor is kind of frowned on. It takes away from the motors ability to return to idle should the throttle cable break.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't see an adjustable area you are mentioning - though I didn't look that far up into it. I can say that there is a brass bar that is attached to the handle and on the opposite end of that there are three holes where you can attach the cable to which adjusts the amount of leverage the handle has on the cable. Neither adjusting to each of the three holes or adjusting the threads on the cable itself made much of any difference. Having said that do you still think there's an area that can be adjusted there that I haven't seen? I have to step away from my computer and won't be back until Monday. It looks like I can sign back in here or on my email.

No sir, I don't think yours is adjustable.

Does your control look like this one? If so, nope, no tension adjustments. You can come on back any time.

Does the throttle get pulled back completely, or just a little bit and then stop?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good morning James!

I don't see an image of a control as indicated.

It's this controller but I can't find a diagram of the rest of the assembly.

The throttle gets pulled back completely whether it's just above idle or at full throttle. We literally have to put a stick under it to keep it above idle otherwise we have to manually hold it up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes indeed that's the system.
OK, there is no tension adjustment on that model morse. Those are actually know for not holding. Their next generation model, the SLT is great though. SLT stands for Self Locking Throttle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so are you saying there's nothing I can do with my current model?

Is there no other way to compensate?

If so do you know if I can upgrade my current one or do I need to buy the a whole new set up?

No, there isn't. And unfortunately the controls are not upgradeable. You would need a complete unit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I found a throttle control kit at west marine. It says it prevents throttle creep.
I wish I could give you advice on that thing, but there is no photo, and I have never seen one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi James,

I have a photo of the device but don't have a way of sending it to you. I can tell you that essentially it's a threaded pin which fits in an existing spot on the throttle handle where it pushes on a plastic pin. That plastic pin rubs against a grooved plate (also included in the kit)which creates friction preventing the throttle from returning to idle automatically.

We haven't done an at sea trial with it but at $50 it seems like its going to be a huge step forward if not completely resolving it.

I went down and checked one out after another expert mentioned some success with it. I have to say it really looks and feels like a good design. I will suggest it to the next customer that comes to the shop with this problem, to be sure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would recommend it.

Anyway just thought you'd want to know. If you want a photo of the assembly (parts package)for your information I could email it to you.

Otherwise, good working with you.

Thanks, but I did see the part in person last night. Thank you though. It does look like it will do the job