Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
8380480

1989 Yamaha 115 2 stroke outboard ignition diagnosis

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.

What color wires did you test?

You only go from ground to one wire on trigger and stator in ohms, if you get a reading, then it has a short to ground
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Stator wires - Tested brown to red. Ohms and DVA in spec. Tested blue to black/red. ohms and DVA in spec. When testing either brown, red, blue or black/red to ground for voltage, I get zero. Testing for ohms to ground they are in spec.

Trigger wires - tested white/red to white yellow. Ohms and dva in spec. Tested white/black to white green. Ohms and dva in spec. Testing any of these to ground for voltage, I get zero. Testing for ohms to ground they are in spec.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
I'm going to have to dig out the book on this one.
I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
You should only test the wire colors, you will get no voltage when you test the ground leads

You want to test ohms for grounds, to test you take one wire and test and the other Meyer lead goes to ground, it should read open or no reading, if you get a reading then it has a short to ground

If your not getting spark remove the white wire from the cdi and then check for spark

If you get spark you have a bad key switch or stop lanyard switch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the white wire off: still no spark. The first time this engine had no spark, I removed the flywheel, cleaned up the stator with some emery, put the flywheel back on and it fired off. It ran for a day then the next day the customer went to use it it would not start. I followed procedure from both the Yamaha manual and CDI Electronics website. Today after multiple voltage and ohms tests, all of a sudden everything tested good. The engine fired for a second then when I tested again, voltage from the leads on the stator and trigger to ground went back to zero.I cleaned ALL the ground connections, took the stator off and cleaned the area it bolts to, wiggled wires, inspected wires, you name it. Testing the stator and trigger for resistance as per the Yamaha manual, they both test good. I even disconnected the wires from the rectifier to eliminate that from the circuit. That circuit in the stator tested good as per the Yamaha specs. Does the voltage originate from the stator first or the trigger?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Come up with anything yet?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
voltage starts are the flywheel magnets

then the stator charges the CDI box

Then the trigger induces the coils, making it spark

So i would try cleaning the CDI box grounds really good and Coil wires

You also want to test the wires going to the coil with the DVA and coils, they need to be connected still

If no volts then remove the white wire from CDI box

If volts bad start stop switch

If not then bad CDI or ground
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I stated before, I cleaned every ground on the engine and left the white wire disconnected from the box. I even ran a separate ground from the battery to the box. Is it possible for the stator to test good for resistance but not put out voltage? If the stator does not put out voltage then the trigger will not show voltage, correct? I also checked the black/white wires to each coil. Still nothing.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
whats the full model number please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
115 ETLF
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
it is number #4 for the trigger

the stator and trigger put their own voltage out

You have a high speed and low speed stator, these are know to go bad, but if you have over 100 Volts from the stator and .7 volts from the trigger they are good, the CDI is bad or coils
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, but how do you read the voltage from each? Do you check it from wire to wire on each component or do you check it from one wire to ground. ( for example, one lead from the meter to the brown stator wire and the other lead to the red stator wire, or one lead from the brown stator wire and the other to ground. And do you check them with the wires hooked up to the CDI box or disconnected from the box?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Brn to Red 86 volts with DVA

Blue to Blk/Red 45 volts

Wht/Red to White/Yel
2.5 Volts

Wht/Grn to Wht/Blk
2,5 Volts

you want to keep everything conected past the cdi

you can test just the wires before the CDI box

you never test to ground with volts
make sure you have a strong battery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These are the readings I got when I tested both these components and I still have no spark at any coil. When I went to the CDI Electronics web site, they give you a trouble shooting guide that tells you not only to check voltage between these wires, but from each wire to ground. The part that has me baffled is that one minute I tested voltage from these wires to ground and had nothing. I checked them a minute later and all of a sudden I had voltage and the engine fired for a second while doing the test. When I checked it again there was no voltage and no spark. I get all the problems no one ever hears about
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
unhooke that white wire

if you get no voltage before the CDI box, then bad stator, tigger, or flywheel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The white wire stayed unhooked while I was doing all the tests. I know I either have a bad stator or trigger, but I`m trying to pin point which one it is. I`m not a parts changer. At $300 bucks+ per part I need to make a correct diagnosis. The other thing is as long as the magnets on the flywheel are intact, how can it go bad?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
by hitting the flywheel or putting it on a metal bench

so test unplugged from stator and trigger and post what you get
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by unplugged? Leave the wires off the CDI box from the stator and trigger?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
yes leave the wires off the box and test before the CDI box
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to talk to another Yamaha outboard tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I stated earlier, I tested before the CDI box and the stator is in spec for ohms and voltage from wire to wire. Checking DVA from each wire to ground is where its bad, except for that one instant where I read the voltage and it fired. Maybe I wasn`t clear on how I checked this.The one test in the CDI Electronics site tells you not only to read DVA and ohms between the wires, but between each individual wire and engine ground. For example, brown stator wire to engine ground should read open resistance and 85 volts minimum. The one time the engine went to fire, I had this voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any outboard techs awake this morning?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
I fowarded this to another guy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok