Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 50Hp Mercury Outboard motor on a 20 Pontoon Boat.

I have a 50Hp Mercury Outboard motor on a 20' Pontoon Boat. Recently the motor reves up, and the boat slows down. The prop appears to be in good condition. Any ideas as to the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

The inside of the prop uses a hard, press fit rubber hub. It's design is that if you ever hit the bottom, the hub would slip and sacrifice itself so you don't damage the rest of the drive. They spin if you hit something, and they also can spin if they are old props, as rubber does dry rot and shrink over time. Once they have spun, they will grab somewhat at lower rpms, and then let go when you really put the power down.

You can send the prop out to have it re-hubbed, but there is usually some down time with that. Most folks will buy a new prop so they can use the boat right away, and then send out their old prop, and keep it for a backup when they get it back in.

Post back with questions.

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for my efforts.
You can still come back here at any time in the future at no extra charge to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept.
If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips and positive feedback at the end are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't think that is the problem. I've attempted to spin the prop by hand and it is firm. I'm thinking that the the clutch spring is weak or broken, and is slipping out of gear.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

If it is slipping out of gear, its going to make an absolute racket. It would sound like a clothes dryer full of nickles. You couldn't miss the noise if you wanted to, is it making a racket?

Here is the easiest way to tell if the hub is bad.

Pull the prop, get some white out or some paint, and make a mark on the inside of the props hub. Across the rubber hub, and on to the metal part of the hub. This is called a witness mark. Go run the boat until the prop slips, then pull the prop back off. If the marks line up, then hub is good. If the marks are off, the hub is bad.