Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.

how do i operate the manual tilt trim adjustment on 15hp mercury

how do i operate the manual tilt trim adjustment on 15hp mercury tiller steering. tilt lock-unlock lever on port side of transom mount assembly, 1-2-3 position pin on starboard side. should be simple, but no matter what i set 1-2-3 pin to, when i lower motor i get the same angle to the transom regardless of the pin setting. what am i missing? am i a moron?

jim dennis
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.

do you have the serial number handy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
so your pulling the blue pin out and adjusting it all the way down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
blue pin? where is there a blue pin? is there a chance you might be mistakenly thinking of an evinrude? we're discussing a mercury, right?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
yes, it might be black on your model, its the pin on the outside that you pull out and choose the three holes

it short of slides down to adjust the tilt
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, i have changed it's position. please keep in mind that i have never had this motor on the water yet since i bought it. i've bounced around a few websites trying to find an "operator's guide" as opposed to a repair or maintainence manual without much luck. it is a tiller shift, so i'm wondering if the tilt mechanism is tied in with the tiller handle or dependent some way on whether it's in gear or not. this is the first merc i've ever owned....i know evinrudes real well.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
let me try and find the owners manual for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with all due respect, you never did provided a step-by-step answer to my question, nor provide any diagram or detailed instructions. i found out by playing around that the motor must be in fwd for trim setting to change regardless of where pin is set. apparently that is so the motor will not kick up on you if you over-rev in reverse. if you can find a reliable reasonable source that i can order the applicable Merc OPERATER'S/OWNERS MANUAL, i would reconsider accepting your answer. but as it stands now, you have not provided any kind of definitive answer. sorry if my candid reply offends you, that's not my attention. you deserve a response to your request, and rather than just blow you off, i respectfully XXXXX XXXXX reply. thanks for trying to help. Jim
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well, we took the long road, but we got there, didn't we. thanks for you persistence.

Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
it took me awhile to find it