K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

Engine runs fine until put into gear then it cuts out and stops.

Customer Question

Engine runs fine until put into gear then it cuts out and stops. But it runs fine and drives @ full throtle after a cold start. When i stop and idle
for a few its hard to start will idle and then stalls when droped into gear after 5 seconds. The fix is wait 15 min and then it will run again @ full
throtle. Fuel problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

K.Kergan :

Hi, my name is Kerry

K.Kergan :

The difference with the cold start is that the choke is closed

K.Kergan :

It sounds to me like the carb is set too lean on the idle circuit

K.Kergan :

Or possibly the float level is too low

Customer :

No the choke works fine. I let it idle till the choke opens.

K.Kergan :

Hm

K.Kergan :

Have you checked the spark while it was hard to start?

K.Kergan :

You have a Rochester 2 barrel?

Customer :

carb is set to about 1 1/2 turns. its not hard to start. but dies after put in gear after running.

K.Kergan :

Did you try setting it richer?

K.Kergan :

2 turns?

Customer :

also bogs down when given full throtle quickly.

Customer :

tryed more and less turns

K.Kergan :

ok

Customer :

17059054 r2/2gc carb #

K.Kergan :

Okay, I know the one

Customer :

float level?

K.Kergan :

It sounds like it's not delivering enough fuel

K.Kergan :

The float level affects the rate of fuel delivery

Customer :

But why ok @ first? then not.

K.Kergan :

good question

Customer :

pickup in tank?

K.Kergan :

What do the plugs look like when you try to restart? did you ever look?

K.Kergan :

A plugged tank pick-up should starve all the time

Customer :

new plugs. flooded once and removed looked fine

K.Kergan :

You could have a coil breaking down with heat but it's not that common

K.Kergan :

It still sounds like a fuel problem to me, the stalling going into gear and bogging on acceleration seem like not enough gas

K.Kergan :

Maybe the float level isn't quite right

Customer :

bought boat from very good friend new coil.

K.Kergan :

Who rebuilt the carb?

K.Kergan :

Did you check the fuel filter for water?

Customer :

a friend of a friend thats a sevice center dealer with a buisnes on the side

Customer :

new filter

K.Kergan :

I'm thinking something may have been missed or misadjusted in the carb. They have passages that can get clogged with corrosion and are very hard to clean. Also some of the 2GCs had a power valve and some did not, if the kit that was used did not and your carb does have it, you could be running with a faulty power valve.

Customer :

crk 18-7746 rebuild kit. whats a Power valve?

K.Kergan :

It's a valve in the bottom of the float bowl that's operated by engine vaccuum, it opens a passage to deliver more fuel when engine vaccuum drops (when you open the throttle).

K.Kergan :

It looks almost like a needle and seat but it doesn't come apart

K.Kergan :

I don't have a way to tell from the part number if it has a valve or not.

Customer :

dirty carb
Full Size Image

K.Kergan :

I don't see a power valve

K.Kergan :

So that's not it

Customer :

there is a tube that comes off the carb and conects to the fuel pump little short and pinched

K.Kergan :

Yellowy plastic?

Customer :

yes

K.Kergan :

That is an idicator, if you see gas in that hose there is a pin-hole in the fuel pump diaphram

Customer :

never saw gas in it it was cloged b4 and we cleared it

K.Kergan :

The fuel pump doesn't have a leaking diaphram then

Customer :

indicator because its yellow?

K.Kergan :

Just because you can see through it

K.Kergan :

If you see liquid in it will be gas from a leaking diaphram

Customer :

cant see through cloudy

Customer :

can a diphram b replaced? or just replace the whole pump

K.Kergan :

The diaphram can be replaced but they won't sell the kit for liability reasons.

K.Kergan :

You have to buy the whole pump

Customer :

how hard is it to replace the pump?

K.Kergan :

Not hard, two fuel lines and two bolts

Customer :

oh ok it just runs of an ecentric cam?

K.Kergan :

Yes, it runs off the camshaft

K.Kergan :

There is a push-rod that reaches from the pump lever to the camshaft

K.Kergan :

When you remove the pump, the push-rod falls down and you need to push it up to get the new pump in

Customer :

i had an inline fuel filter b4 the pump and it never filled with fuel till the engine sat for 10 min.

K.Kergan :

That's different

Customer :

could the fuel b leaking back through the diaphram?

Customer :

leaking back through the diapham?

K.Kergan :

Check the fuel pick-up and where the hose attaches to the pick-up there is an anti-siphon fitting

K.Kergan :

The anti-siphon could be sticking. It's just looks like a regular hose fitting but it has a check-ball in it

K.Kergan :

The check-ball should unseat fairly easily, if it sticks that could be your problem

K.Kergan :

fuel won't leak back through the diaphram

Customer :

is that how it vents the tank ant-siphon fitting?

K.Kergan :

The tank vent is another thing to check

Customer :

ok

K.Kergan :

The anti-siphon valve is a device that stops the tank from siphoning into the bilge if the fuel line gets cut

K.Kergan :

It's a safety thing

Customer :

oh ok

K.Kergan :

It's just the fitting on the tank where you hook up the fuel line

Customer :

what kind of pickup filter is comon?

K.Kergan :

some are just a piece of tubing with no filter and some have metal mesh stuck in the end of the tube

Customer :

no sock?

K.Kergan :

It is common for anti-siphon valves to cause problems

K.Kergan :

No sock in most boats

K.Kergan :

Maybe the jetskis have them but not big boat tanks

K.Kergan :

There is a spring loaded check ball that the fuel pump has to unseat before it can get fuel

Customer :

lots to think about. gota work tomorow will look into the things we discused on sunday. is there a way to save this tread?

K.Kergan :

It won't let the fuel siphon out but it means that the fuel pump has to pull hard to get fuel.

K.Kergan :

Yes save it in favorites

K.Kergan :

come back when you want

Customer :

that will save all we typed?

K.Kergan :

yes

K.Kergan :

just add to favorites

K.Kergan :

When you click on you will be right back here

K.Kergan :

Disconnect the fuel hose at the tank and take the fitting off, you will immediately see what I mean

Customer :

thank you so much! great to talk to someone that is knowlegable and shure of themselves.

K.Kergan :

Okay, have a good night

Customer :

wait

K.Kergan :

k

Customer :

boat is stingray is there a site i can go to for diagrams and part lists?

K.Kergan :

This will get engine parts

K.Kergan :

Don't know about the boat

Customer :

k thanks ttul. thank you!!!! GN

K.Kergan :

The anti-siphon valve is pretty much standard

K.Kergan :

Gn

Customer :

gn

K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you know that this engine has a intake exsaust in one and the carb requiers a special 3 layer gasget to prevent vapor lock?

I didnt but do now. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.
I've been certified by Mercuiser several times and I did not know that but I do now, thank you for getting back to me with that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now my power trim doesn't work. can hear the solenoid clicking but no electric pump action. I filled the reservoir still nothing. Gonna take it to someone and let them look @ it. I know nothing about electrical systems. Any quick suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks you. Chris.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

Yes, might not be as bad as it might seem. Does it just click in both directions or just one?

Try tapping 'lightly' on the trim motor with the solenoid clicked. Don't hit it too hard it has permanent magnets that will break if you smack it with a hammer but there might be a stuck brush in the motor.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.
If it runs in one direction but not the other it's the solenoid that's the problem. If it won't run in either direction it's either both solenoids or the motor. Both solenoids is rare but it's happened.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wont run in the up direction cus its in trailer position. I tried to tap lightly on solenoids but not when activated. My arms r a little short for that. lol.

I used the plastic end of a screwdriver only lightly. All connections seem tight and free of corrosion.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

Runs in the down direction though?

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

If it runs in the down direction but not the up direction the problem is the up solenoid and not the motor.

Figure out which solenoid and replace it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cant go up anymore @ top trailer position, no response when trim is pushed up.

Will not go down. Solenoid responds when trailer button is pushed.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.
Okay the motor tries to run when you press up but nothing when you press down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No never tries.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, do you know where the solenoids are?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Think so but not sure. Do you?
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

The trim pump has a bracket with two solenoids on it, each solenoid has four terminals. Two large ones and two small ones. One large one has power from the battery, the other large one goes to the trim motor. One small one goes to ground and the other one is connected to the trim switch in the control. If you jump (with a wire or something metal) from the terminal that goes to the battery to the other large terminal the motor should try to run. If it will not run in either direction there is something wrong with the motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good I will give that a try.

Obviously if one works and the other doesn't its the solenoid. Yes?

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.
Yes, good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I think I need more than luck. lol

Thanks for the help. Ttul. C

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

One other thing, see if you have power on the trim unit, there is usually a fuse on the starter solenoid where the power feed for the trim unit connects. You can't see if it's blown, you need to check for 12 volts at the solenoids.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok ty.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 3 years ago.

Have a good one