Whitecap36
Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Experience:  28 years Certified Marine Technician and past FL State Certified teaching degree
22491800

I have a 1998 Glastron SE 175 V-6 190 HP Volvo Penta. When

I have a 1998 Glastron SE 175 V-6 190 HP Volvo Penta. When cold it starts fine, when it is hot and restarted in a few minutes it runs fine. However when you get the motor hot and turn it off for about 20 minutes or longer it restarts and seems to use up the gas in the carburetor and then dies out. I have tried to restart it and it cranks and cranks. It does not smell like gas.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it but it is running a little hotter than usual since they installed a new impeller in the water pump over the winter (about 210 degrees) when we are gunning it otherwise the temp drops back to about 180.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Whitecap36 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Mike.
I'm happy to help you today. Please post back to this thread for any questions or concerns, either before or after payment.
Suspect two things going on.
The engine running a little hotter since water pump impeller replacement can be caused missing impeller blades blocking passages in thermostat housing. Pull off and remove therm and inspect carefully for these small pieces that float around or block outlet passages.
As for the starting issue I would say the engine is flooding. Inspect and replace inlet needle and seat in carb.
Best of luck,