Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean

My 3 cylinder Lugger/northern lights generater stalled and

My 3 cylinder Lugger/northern lights generater stalled and will not restart(1,420 hours running time). Starter motor spins freely, I changed both fuel filters and can hand prime fuel to the bleed before the injector pump, but I cannot get fuel to a loosened injector connection. I removed the stop solenoid from the pump, but still can't hand prime fuel through the injecter pump. Do I need a new injecter pump?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 5 years ago.
It sounds more like you need a new stop/run solonoide. The system runs on a failsafe, so the solonoide has to activate and pull in order for the engnie to run. Pulling the solonoide will keep the engine from running. It's backward from a regualr diesel. This way if the generator catches fire and power is lost the engine shuts down as it needs power to the solonoide to run.

So, first thing to do is check voltage at the solonoide. Should be 12 volts trying to start, and 4 volts to hold. If you don't have the voltage to the solonoide then the problem is int he control circuit, but if you have the voltage and the engine won't run then the problem is in the solonoide.

Alternertivily you can check resistnace of the solnoide. Should be 4 ohms.

If it is much different the it's gone bad. They fail a lot as they run all the time the egien is on adn they get hot from the engnie and from teh electrical current.