Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

225 Mercury EFI Saltwater Edition 1999-2000. Starts and idles

225 Mercury EFI Saltwater Edition 1999-2000. Starts and idles fine but when accelerated it bogs down and eventually kills. Replaced fuel filter. Spark Plugs are OK. If the fuel filter is loosened where gas comes out, it will accelerate and run. What could this be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

Can I get the engine serial number please. As Merc makes a few different style EFI engines. Also, do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Serial # XXXXX

Do not have access to a scan tool

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

If you brough this to me, here is how I would troubleshoot it.

The very first thing I would do is hook it up to a scan tool/laptop and see if any sensor stood out as being bad. Since you don't have access to a scan tool, your going to only check what you can check without one.

Next I would check the fuel pressure when running and compare it to spec. On yours its 34 to 36 psi. Check it when the engine falls on it's face. If the fuel pressure maintains, then we know the fuel pressure is good, and the rest of the fuel system is likely fine. If it falls on its face, then you need to dig into the fuel system a little deeper.

After that, I would do a compression test on both engines. It always starts with compression, and if the engine has low compression you could end up throwing good money after bad trying to find a problem that is really low compression. On that engine all cylinders should be about 90psi or better, and all within 10-15 of eachother.

Next I would do a spark test.

These are the testers we use in the industry.

But you can also get cheap spark checkers at most good autoparts stores.

You need to hook the spark tool up and set the gap to 7/16ths of an inch. The spark should easily jump that gap, be hot and blue in color, and be consistant with engine rpms. Weak looking yellow spark will not cut it.

Either way, that is how I would do it. Going about it in the order I mentioned above is the most cost effective way to troubleshoot it so that your both not wasting time and not skipping around/making mistakes. Once you know which system is acting up, compression, fuel, and ignition, you can dig deeper into those systems. If all systems pass all of the above tests, then your looking at a fault in the EFI system, and the engine will have to go on the scan tool/laptop to diagniose.

Hopefully that gets you pointed in the right direction, and leads to solving the problem.

Post back with questions

Good luck!

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for helping you.
You can still come back here at any time and at no extra charge to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept.

Hitting accept does not close out the question.

If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips and positive feedback at the end are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS- One thing those engines are known for is getting a clogged VST (vapor seperator tank). Underneath the high pressure pump inside of the VST, is a little filter screen. If the fuel pressure drops, that little screen is highly suspect as to causing the problem, as they clog up often.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does the loose fuel filter tell you? When the filter is loose and gas is escaping, it runs?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

It means the filter could be clogged, or there is another restriction in the fuel system some place. There is 1 more test you can do, it's called a boat side fuel system test. It tests for restrictions in the fuel system. I was only going to give it to you if you came back and told me fuel pressure was low. (I didn't want to give you information overload!)

boat side fuel system test -- click here

Now if there is any kind of restriction in the fuel system (which would limit fuel to the engine and cut rpms) that test will find it.

Start by replacing the fuel filter first and trying it. If that doesn't solve it, run the test and see what the fuel system is pulling for vacuum. If you have any questions about the test or the results you get from it, by all means just ask away.

Good luck!