Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I HAVE A 1997 YAMAHA 150 SALT WATER SERIES OUTBOARD . I AM

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1997 YAMAHA 150 SALT WATER SERIES OUTBOARD . I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY TILT & TRIM .IT WORKS FINE RAISING AND HOLDING PLANE BUT WHEN I TRY TO TRIM DOWN WHILE NOT MOVING IN THE WATER I HAVE PROBLEMS TO TRIM DOWN ALSO THE MOTOR WILL KICK UP WHEN HARD IN REVERSE
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
You either have air in the system or a reverse valve stuck open. Since you rebuilt things recently keep checking the fluid level and refilling with the engine tilted all the way up on the trailering brackets. Then trim up and down a few times allowing a few minutes between cycles for the motor to cool.
This should after a period of time cycle the air out of the system, which can be difficult to get it all out.
If this does not take care of the problem then the unit will need to be taken apart to see where the problem is.
Make sure the manual relief valve is fully closed as well.
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the reverse valve located in the new pump assembly or in the cylinder housing ? I had to change the oring on the manuel relief valve as it was broken is it possible part of the oring is in this reverse valve where is it located ? I am having the same problem as before rebuilding cylinder and replacing pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello are you there Jeff?

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 years ago.
#11 in the drawing is the up relief valve that is probably leaking. I would HIGHLY recommend before you go any further get the OEM service manual. There are a number of procedures and many balls and gears and check valves that if not put back together correctly, you will end up replacing the entire unit. You may get one from Yamaha or even on e-bay.
You probably did get all of the old O ring out of the manual relief valve. Put the engine on the trailering legs so there is minimal pressure , remove it and quickly replace it. Then you will know for sure. When you get the valve back in check the fluid level then unscrew the manual relief and let the engine go down on it's own. Tighten the manual relief, trim up and repeat a few times.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
# XXXXX on the drawing is in the new pump that i replaced,any more ideas? I noticed 1 more check valve in the cylinder housing could this be the problem or possibly the manuel relief valve?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 years ago.
Probably is just air still in the system. If the trim unit makes a funny or high pitched squeal when trimming then that is air.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
only going down it makes high pitched noise
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 years ago.
You have air trapped in the system. Work it out by letting the engine lower with the manual relief unseated. Close it, trim up and repeat. Then operate the unit normally. a few times see if the squeal goes away. Don't allow the trim motor to get hot, let it rest 5 minutes between procedures and to allow aerated fluid to settle and let the air out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff the problem was the middle cylinder has 4 checks in it one of the 4 checks had trash in it I took it apart and cleanded it out .This fixed the problem. The check are actually on the piston not the floating piston. There is a plate that while installing piston and tightening rod nut this plate actually pulls springs in and sets checks while tightening nut.these checks where dirty.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 years ago.
Thought you had rebuilt the cylinder? Thanks for letting me know. Boat safe!