Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

What does the Yamaha 200 TXRP Outboard CDI Unit do

What does the Yamaha 200 TXRP Outboard CDI Unit do?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

The CDI is not the problem. Capacitor Discharge Ignition. The CDI unit holds the electricity produced from the stator. Then the trigger tells the CDI to release this contained electricity to fire the coil ten to fire the spark plug.

The problem you have is the sending unit in the oil tank this is a float switch that turns the oil pump on when the oil level gets low. If the float quits sending the low oil signal the oil pump in the main tank will not come on filling the oil tank.

Check the harness connections at the main oil tank in the oat to be sure there is no corrosion, if no corrosion replace the sending unit in the oil tank on the engine.

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer was incorrect.
I ended up having o replace the CDI unit, at which point everything worked perfectly It turns out that the CDI Box controls the pump on the boat side, telling the pump on the bat side when the tank on the engine is low, telling it to fill and telling it when to stop filling. Consequently, I paid for your advice, which was incorrect and cost me the price of a new sensor unit for the engine tank, which did not need replacing. I think you should refund my money, as you gave me bad advice,
Expert:  Tan replied 5 years ago.
I have sent your request to the moderator. They will refund your money.