Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a Yamaha 90 4 stroke outboard (2002) and it will not start,

Have a Yamaha 90 4 stroke outboard (2002) and it will not start, no power, and does not lower trim either, like there is no power to engine. However, battery has been charged, is one year old, and I eliminated the battery as the problem, tried jumping and a battery booster, still nothing. The boat lites and horn do work. Is there a main breaker or fuse to change on the engine? I tried the trim on the engine compartment and still nothing. does not even click. Has never done this before. This engine is on a Lowes pontoon.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

There are some fuses you need to check on the engine. Let me get the full engine model number so I can get you a picture of their location.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have to run out to boat and get the model no, what else will you need? Will take a little bit, say hour or so
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Just the full model number of it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have someone running out there now, it is 10 miles away, will get back to you as soon as they text me the model no. Thanks.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Sure thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says P90B on the owners manual, is that what you need? 2002 engine.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
No that does me no good. I need the full model number as its typed on a sticker on the clamp bracket.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is bringing in manual now, will see what we can come up with. How do I get back in touch with you?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Just post right back here. If it's easier for you, jot down your user/pass and just bookmark this question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He did not get the correct info, I will have to go out there later, will get back to you when I can get it. I have owners manual but no numbers on the engine. He left the marina before I could get ahold of him for the correct info. Will be back in touch, thanks. May be tomorrow.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Sure thing, just post back when you have the model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
3YMXM1 602GB is on the side plate, does that make sense. Yamaha 90 4 stroke
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

No its going to start with F90

The problem is, is that yamaha didn't make a 90hp 4 stroke in 2002. So without that model number I don't know what you have or what year it is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about the delay, try this

First Line F90 TLRB

Second Line 61P L(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

I also noticed another sticker on the other side of engine, 02/03, must be an 03 Yamaha. Does any of this make sense? We replaced the inline fuses off the battery yesterday, still no power to engine. Does not tilt or start (no click or anything), however lights and horn do work, and battery is charged, I put a tester on it and it shows good battery.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

F90TLRB is what it is. Keep that handy, as you will probably need that number at some point in the future. And 02/03 means the motor was built in Feb 03.

There are 4 fuses in the harness that you need to check. It's typically on or more of those 4. Check them out with a voltmeter, and don't rely on just looking at them. Here is a picture of it, I circled it in red for you.

graphic

Post back if it still gives you troubles.

Good luck!

Jason

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for my efforts.
You can still come back here at any time in the future at no extra charge to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept.
If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips and positive feedback at the end are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience: Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.