Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I HAVE A 2007 MERCURY 2 STROKE 50 HP. THE ENGINE RUNS GREAT

I HAVE A 2007 MERCURY 2 STROKE 50 HP. THE ENGINE RUNS GREAT BUT IT DOESN'T IDLE WELL. IT WILL IDLE AROUND 800 RPMS FOR 2-3 MINUETS AND SLOWLY IDLE DOWN AND THEN DIE. i HAVE NOTICED IF I BUMP THE CHOKE ON THE IGNITION IT WILL SPEED UP AND IDLE ANOTHER 2-3 AND SLOWLY IDLE DOWN AND DIE. ANY IDEA WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

Honestly, it sounds like a case of clogged carbs. Carb jobs are very common on marine engines. They make up 80+% of all my work. It takes a piece of dirt the size of a piece of sand in there to gum up the works.

The only fix for it is going to be pulling the carbs off, pulling them apart, cleaning them with spray carb cleaner followed by high pressure compressed shop air. Putting it all back together with new carb kits from Mercury, and reinstalling it all.

You will also want to look in the fuel tank if you can. If there is any trash in the fuel tank, it will work itself right back into the carbs and clog them again.

Post back with questions.

Good luck!

Jason

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for my efforts.
You can still come back here at any time in the future at no extra charge to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept.
If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips and positive feedback at the end are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!