Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.

I have 1996 60 HP Mariner 3 cylinder oil injected 2 stroke

I have 1996 60 HP Mariner 3 cylinder oil injected 2 stroke outboard.Last summer it started running erratically at the lake.It would run at high rpms and then drop down to mid rpms and back up.Runs great at low & mid range rpms.Cleaned carbs/Dumped heet into fuel tank & took out for test about a week ago.Now it will only run into mid range area.Well not go much higher than 2,500 to 3000 rpm but is relaible & well run all day.Starts right up & purs at lower rpms.
Carbs looked good.I am beginning to think this is not a fuel problem at all.I was told that some
of these Mariners had two stators.A low & high speed unit.Also for quite awhile periodically an alarm (Steady) would go off just like the one that sounds when you start the boat.Mostly at trolling speed.After reading online forums I have found out that could be indicating an overheating problem.Possibly a thermostat.It has a steady stream of water coming out of it so I think the water pump is fine.I read that some of the computers will not allow the engine to rev up if there is an overheating situation.Also it well rev up in the driveway but in the water under a load is where the problem occurs.Do you have anny ideas of what this could be
or am I on the right track?Thanks-Jeff in California.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.

It could be a fuel line or pump issue, try pumping the primer bulb while it dies out, if it picks up bad fuel lines, primer bulb and or fuel pump

yes they have to stators, one kicks in after 2500 RPM

That alarm will cause a loose of RPM's, you can unplug the heat sensor and if alarm goes off it means your overheating or have a bad sensor

post the serial number please

Where in California are you located?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am located in Eureka(Northern California)Already tried the primer bulb.It doesnt act like its running out of fuel just wont rev up.Serial #of motor is OG368653.

well you will need a volt/ohm meter to test thing out

do you have those?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

first link is the factory manual, second one is just OHM specs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The factory Manual shows a higher series of serial numbers than I have.Does that matter?Also i assume those resistance & voltage readings have to be taken off the stator.
Yea it might, check the wire colors first