Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Experience:  28 years Certified Marine Technician and past FL State Certified teaching degree

Mercury 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard quits operating after 15-20

Mercury 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard quits operating after 15-20 minutes. If I let it cool down for 15 minutes it'll restart but continue the same cycle! Motor is only 3 yrs old with limited use. Is it the coil? Repairman ran motor for hour or more but not under load but found no problem. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Whitecap36 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Mike.
I'm happy to help you today. Please post back to this thread for any questions or concerns, either before or after payment.
Please explain more about how the engine stops and when you try to restart what is it doing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor simply quits running. When trying to restart the engine doesn't respond whatsoever. But it you let it cool down it'll restart and run another 10 to 15 minutes and do the same thing! Have had a tech test the coil; set lamination gap on coil but now does the same thing....first two years of operation (08'- 09') had no problems with same load of approximately 325 lbs. (19' aluminum canoe + 2 people). Took it back to marina yesterday but wanted another opinion!
Sorry but I really don't have a guess as to what component/s may be bad.
But it does seem to me that it should be fairly easy to troubleshoot as you have a pattern of failure.
When engine dies you need to be prepared to test quickly.
You said engine does not respond, this tells me to look for failed grounds and 12volt feeds.
Ignition switch loosing voltage?
Kill switch bad?
Any number of items could be suspect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Difficult to do any testing out on the water...but pattern certainly is clear....thought it must be electrical in nature as though something reaches a certain temperature and shuts the system down....would amount of weight affect this issue? Will await your response and go ahead and issue payment....your opinion certainly warrants that! Thanks! XXXXX
Ok can you first tell me if I'm correct when I say there is no sign of electric out of the key switch with this happens. No gauge movement,no solenoid click, no power trim?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of the issues you mentioned occur when shut-down takes place....just quits! If I start replacing parts it could get expensive trying to figure out the problem however my guess would be to first replace the coil, right? Thanks,[email protected]
Will email you if the techy figures it out at some point!
Sorry can not make any contact outside of JA.
But would still like to know after engine dies and you try to start what happens?
Does it turn over and not start?
Does it not turn over????
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does not turn over until at least 15 minutes of cooling down time and then will restart after one or two pulls and w/o the choke being pulled out for a shot of gasoline! Any other thoughts? I'll check back w/i 20 minutes.
Ok, if the pull cord will not pull for 15 min then the engine has.maybe overheated. Have you serviced water pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can pull the pull cord but engine does not respond and yes, I feel that the over heating causes the shut-down. Water pump must be working as I see the water shooting out and also I doubt the motor would even run for 15-20 minutes if the pump were a problem! Don't you agree.....I'll also mention this to the tech tomorrow!
Ok if the engine will pull over then we are not.overheating to a point of stuck.piston in cylinder as I suspected age I thought it would not pull over. Not saying the water pump is good but don't believe this to be the problem here. Replace impeller on this.model every two to three years with regular use, sooner if used less.
Ok so my thought here is to run it until shut down and test for spark to confirm you suspicions.
If you are might first try to eliminate the.kill circuit first.
Best of.luck,
Post back at anytime here on this problem.