Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.

We have a 1998 Kawasaki 750 Xi Sport. The rubber seal around

Customer Question

We have a 1998 Kawasaki 750 Xi Sport. The rubber seal around the drive shaft from the engine to the water propulsion pump is cracked and leaking. We removed the pump and have the shaft ready to remove, but the big end connector that the engine turns on the shaft will not unscrew from the shaft so that we can get it and the rubber piece out of the hull. What do we do now? We were told to remove the engine. That sounds extreme.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
There's two ways to get around this.
First theres a special tool that fits in that coupler that you put a breaker bar on and you can unscrew the coupler that way.
You just put a long punch through the hole in the shaft behind the coupler to keep it from turning.
Or If you pull the jet pump and the ride plate off you can undo the bearing carrier on the hull that's cracked and leaking and pull the drive shaft out through the engine side of the hull.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have pulled everything off of the drive shaft and it will not come out through the engine side of the hull. the engine is in the way.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Even after taking the ride plate off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I have just a bare shaft sticking out the back side of the hull. The rubber seal is still on the shaft because the screw-on connector to the motor will not unscrew. There is only 7" between the hull and the motor, so there is no way the shaft is coming out into the engine compartment. Without unscrewing the connection thing "I'm screwed".
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
You could find someone with an air hammer to get that coupler to spin off. But if you're not careful you'll break it and need a new one.
I've used an air hammer before and it works pretty good.